Varnishing advice needed

paul

Visit site
Can anyone give me tips on how to get a good high gloss finish for my saloon table. I'm particularly interested in views on the application ,e.g brush versus foam type brushes. Do you apply thick or thin? What brushing techniques help avoid brush and run marks? I think one of the yachting mags had an article recently but can't remember which one or which issue - anyone know? Thanks.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
I would use a good quality brush. Start by using 25% varnish and 75% white spirit, sand down lightly between coats, and increase % varnish to 100% over next 3 or 4 coats. Continue to sand and clean between coats and keep going till you have the finish you require. Apply thin rather than thick, should not have problem with brush marks.
Good luck.

RobertMartin

Visit site
Make sure you use good MARINE varnish. Thin the first 2 coats with spirits , i apply 3 coats with no sanding, then put 5 to 7 more coats with light sanding. Light coats to stop runs. It really is very easy. It just takes 7 or 8 days to complete.. Ohh Use brush's 2 or 3 times only then chuck out.

Enjoy the shine...

B

bob_tyler

Use a very fine wet & dry paper between coats until the surface is well matted. Only the final coat should be left glossy.

Keep a bowl of water containing a little washing-up liquid for frequently thoroughly cleaning the paper when in use. A nail brush cleans the paper well.

Allow to thoroughly dry between coats and wipe with a clean cloth, slightly moistened with paraffin, or a tack rag from a good paint shop, and finish with a dry, non fluffy, cloth (a torn up old bedsheet for example).

Do not brush on too thickly, work quickly and spread the varnish well.

Result, glasslike!

ChrisJ

Visit site
I find that thinning the "final" coat 25% thinner works very well to remove brush stroke marks.

Problems:
- It makes it more likely to run - so careful on the edges and vertical surfaces.
- You have no idea when the "final coat" might be! So thin the first 2, then 3 or 4 not thinned, then try a thinned one. If it doesn't look right, light rub down again, apply a normal coat, and then try the next one thinned...

Cheers, Chris

G

If you want it to be easy...

Use Ronseal 5 year woodstain. Three coats and it looks as deep as the ocean, you can slap it on with any old brush (although I do use a foam brush usually), and I know of at least one boat which has used it externally, with no signs of cracking or flaking after 3+ years. Tough as old boots, and you can get your kids to put it on for you...does exactly what it says on the tin!! Good luck!

G

The more you worry about brush marks the more you get. Pick a warm day, smoothly brush your varnish on (dont ever try to go back and rework a bit you have covered) then go to the pub while it dries.

If you know what varnish was used before then International Paints will give you good advice on the best product to apply on top - ring them up they really are excellent.