VARIFOLD PROPELLER

bajo

Visit site
I would like to hear if anyone has had any experience with using the Varifold propeller,.and how it compares with similar other propellers 12''-13'' diameter

SimonD

Visit site
Waaaay better than the Kiwiprop (I've had two and neither worked). Simple robust engineering. Very heavy and therefore tend to dampen any vibration. Very effective as a prop as the blades are a proper shape (unlike the kiwiprop). No problems going into astern and reasonable drive astern.

Only downside is the cost of the anode, but I guess that's the same with most props (except, ironically, the Kiwiprop!)

Simon

Vamoose

www.flickr.com
I bought one in December. Boat go's back in water next week so we will see how it performs.

I chose the Varifold after seriously thinking about the Kiwi Prop as well as several other folding props.

In the end everything is compromise against price, performance and quality. . I am pretty sure its not going to be wonderful going astern, but am hopeful that it will perform well ahead and when sailing... I hope I am right . /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

johnphilip

Visit site
Apparently similar to the Varifold is the two bladed Flex-o-Fold, fitted to our 33' with a Volvo saildrive on a nineteen HP volvo inboard. In still water performance is fine but a couple of times when motoring into a chop off Harwich the prop seemed to stop pushing and just cavitate. If the boat hit a wave and slowed to 2 or 3 knots the prop just seemed incapable to translating revs into push. Paying off away from the wind allowed speed to pick up and this would hold up for a while, even turning back into wind, but it would soon repeat the speed loss.
On our last boat a Fulmar, the change from 2 blade fixed to 3 blade fixed gave a lot more push under these conditions, but I hated it when sailing. The boat was shared or I would have gone for a folder or feathering prop.

jh001ace

Visit site
I fitted one to my Beneteau 331 two years ago, it was great, really couldn't recommend it enough, best £600 odd I spent on that boat.

Airassmith

Visit site
No experience myself of a Varifold prop but just got a quote for one to replace the standard VP two blade folder on my MD2030B saildrive and was surprised how reasonable it was. But then I saw a three blade folding Gori on a neighbors Hallberg Rassay which looked very well made and cleverly designed and seems to have had good feedback as far as I can make out, now just waiting for the quote on that...

Sailfree

Visit site
You seem to have mixed replies.

The Varifold is a folding propeller and in my opinion as good as any others. I had one on my 40hp 38' and no probs. Had very bad experience of Volvo folding props (30hp /36') but they were continually replaced under warantee until Volvo asked me could they give me my money back and buy someone elses prop - no robust enough IMHO and certainly will not survive heavy use like the charter market.

The Kiwi prop mentioned is a feathering prop for which a number have said they had problems with the going astern pitch. Other think they are great but that probably because the principle of feathering is good and the Kiwi being plastic blades for low powered applications is cheap.

For feathering props the Variprop (same make as the Varifold)is the best IMHO. Robust (I have used them on two charter boats) enable pitch to be adjusted (fine tuned if req) from outside the prop. Delvelopes lots of power astern (NB modern folding props are now better astern than they used to be). Power astern with Variprop stops the boat from 6kts in its own length and great for getting off the putty but if thats not a factor a Varifold produces good power forwards and is cheaper.

Gori prop has an overdrive feature that some like and others hate/find difficult.

If you motorsail a lot the Bruntons Autoprop is a variable pitch prop and many think its great. With price of diesel soon it may be well worth considering.

If sailing the folding prop has least resistance, the feathering next least and the Bruntons next with a fixed prop left in gear next and to start an old arguement going again a fixed prop allowed to freewheel offers the most resistance when sailing.

Hope this helps.

bajo

Visit site
Thank you all for the info you have given me, but at the moment I may have to settle for a fixed prop
for the time being ,any futher advise even on fixed would be welcome Thanks again!!

jow

Visit site
Hi,
I fitted a two blade varifold to my Sadler 26 this year.
Since the weather is very bad at the moment and the boat got launched only two weeks ago I have limited experience with that.
From an engineering perspective the prop is extremly well made, very heavy and seems to be very solid.

After the launch I made my way to my mooring and played a little bit with it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Going forward seems much better than with the old fixed two blader. The engine seems to run smoother somehow.
But going astern was hhmmm.... 'interesting':
Boat doing 5 knots, I engaged reverse, engine revs up, boat going 5 knots, engine still running in reverse, boat still going forward, then after a while a lot of bubbles apeared behind the boat, boat still moving forward, boat slows down, boat stops, boat goes backwards.

In comparison to the old prop the whole process took ages.
I think this needs a little bit of practice /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

regards,
jow