vacuum bags

oldvarnish

Visit site
Over on the Liveaboard forum they're talking about space-saving and someone mentioned vac packed clothes.

Has anyone found a vacuum bag that marries neatly with an Avon dinghy pump?

Cymrogwyllt

Visit site
at a pinch a wound up cloth can be used to act as a gasket. It certainly wroked for me with an air line and an inflatable

Tradewinds

www.laurelberrystudio.com
Over on the Liveaboard forum they're talking about space-saving and someone mentioned vac packed clothes.

Has anyone found a vacuum bag that marries neatly with an Avon dinghy pump?
According to this bloke you don't want to be thinking about doing that - second best ;).

One Bag

You should really be thinking about doing something like this :rolleyes:

bundle.jpg

When I was involved with a company transporting vac-packed clothes, a lot depended a lot on temperature & humidity - the fibres had to be 'relaxed' & dry in order to compress the optimum amount required. That was a long time ago & the technology may have changed (but not a 'bundle' :) )

bromleybysea

Visit site
There are two types: one you roll up to expel the air through a one-way valve, the other you use a vacuum cleaner to suck the air out, both available from Clas Ohlsen, John Lewis etc. I would have thoguht it would be easy to adapt a Avon pump to a short piece of old vacuum cleaner hose. But, in my expereince they don't hold the vacuum indefinitely.

bendyone

Visit site
I use a couple from "Lakeland" for storing sleeping bags in. Used with a Argos "value" vacuum cleaner ( about £16 a couple of years ago) which works well for me.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
We leave all our clothes and bedding in Lakeland vaccum bags when we leave the boat for the winter. After six months or so some will have let air in but they are still keeping most moisture out.

We vac them down with a dinghy pump like this I had to make an adaptor - just a short length of plastic hose that fits one of the other fittings, pressed against the seal on the bags.