V**vo's again!!

BarryH

Visit site
V**vo\'s again!!

A while ago I had to purchase a raw water pump for the red dread sitting in the engine bay. Fitted the new water pump as per workshop manual. It lasted around 10 hours running in total. Another 300 quid down the drain!!

Now on further inspection the failure was caused by a poorly made drive coupling fron the dizzy drive pulley. Contacted v**vo dealer from where said parts were purchased and you've got it " sorry mate defective part is now over a year old, an' cos you fitted the pump and it wasn't the pumps fault, thats not covered either".

Now the fact that the drive coupling is over a year old but was fitted in the lay up period and did'nt start to be used until earlier this year doesn't make any difference.

So the moral of the story is if you buy any parts check that they are correctly made weather they are for your spares kit or you will be fitting them straight away.
Even speaking to people in the boating trade, the picture that is getting painted of this company is not a very rosie one!!

Wha'dya mean "I'm always playing with this engine" its the only way to get it to run!

Geoffs

Visit site
Re: V**vo\'s again!!

No one seems to be very sympathetic to your plight, Barry. You would have thought that where there was a genuine component fault, they ought to be more sympathetic, even if only meeting half way or something. But that's not what we've come to expect from Volvo, oops forgot the ****'s

Anyway good to see you in Studland the other day.

Old Chinese proverb 'Man who sail boat into rice field, soon get into paddy'

BarryH

Visit site

Hope to have it all up and running again by the weekend. I sat at the lathe all day yesterday turning up parts to repair the pump frony cover and making a new drive coupling.

Glorious day the other day and you must be the first forum member I've actually seen in a boat!!! Sorry I could'nt talk a bit more, but with my two ankle biters I need eyes everywhere. Just after you went off, I lost the youngest over the stern. Still in at the deep end and all that. Hope to be down there for a fortnight in august fron the 11th. I'll make sure the drinks locker is well stocked!

Wha'dya mean "I'm always playing with this engine" its the only way to get it to run!

BarryH

Visit site

The older petrol engines were in red livery as per the car engines which they were based on. Red green, if its got v**** on the thing, it means one thing, Trouble. All INMHO of course!!

Geoffs

Visit site

Lost the youngest over the Stern? That sounds a bit serious!

I'll be arond on 10/11th August, somehow managed to get roped in as a safety boat for The Poole Offshore Powerboat Grand Prix that weekend, off Bournemouth & Boscombe I think. Hope I find out.

May go for a little jaunt down to Weymouth for a couple of days after.

Old Chinese proverb 'Man who sail boat into rice field, soon get into paddy'

halcyon

Visit site

My one and only Vovo car had a sort of oily black coloured engine, then burnt throught the cylinder head.

Brian

ccscott49

Visit site

Ah! the early oil burner volvo, designed by the local primary school! Know them well! I had a B30 (164 injection 6 cyl) in my Marcos, I did eventually get and keep it oil tight, even kept camshafts/cam drives in it, after fitting an aftermarket vulcan? cam, and the aluminuim injection cam wheel, also most of the other wearing? parts were replaced and looked after like a baby! It was a damn good engine then! The car went like greased weasle s...t aswell! 135 MPH, not bad for a car with the aerodynamics of a block of flats!

tr7v8

Visit site

Wot do you mean aerodynamics of a block of flats! From memory the Cos in Marcos is Frank Costin who was an aerodynamicist at De Havilland before he started designing cars.
As regards the Volvo's I must agree, in the mid 80's I had a 240 estate with a B21 engine and the whole thing was a shed, now I find the Draco has a pair of the b(*&&^d things! Still sorting them out hence haven't been out on it yet. Anyone know how much fresh water pumps are for them?

Jim
-------

oldgit

Visit site

O yes the Marcos, vile design(snigger) and all that woodworm.Now my Piper was much nicer as was the Ginetta.

And the weather for the weekend is...............

BarryH

Visit site

The fresh water pumps are the same as the car ones. Its the raw water pumps thar are an arm and a leg! £300ish from v**vo. So its off to the local car spare shop for those then, but to be honest I've never had a problem with the fresh water pump, damn now i've said it. I'll go and get one just in case!!

ccscott49

Visit site

Now, Now, mine was a later marcos with rust away steel chassis! Sold it to a guy in Holland 9 years ago, who still has her, I put a B30E (injection) engine with tornado camshaft, 190 BHP, she was very quick, no sex though, its impossible with the windows, doors and sunroof closed, unless you are a midget!! Sunroof open is a different proposition!! or position anyway!

ccscott49

Visit site

He most certainly was, but have you ever seen one in a wind tunnel? I have! Yuck! Somebody else was asking about those water pumps, on the wanted form I think, but I said use car ones and apparently they are different, however as long as you have the casings, surely they could be re-built? The 240, is a different series engine anyway, isn't it overhead cam?

ccscott49

Visit site

I thinbk I might modify the water pumps to standard jabscos, with a belt drive or something rather than pay out £300!!!

BarryH

Visit site

Thats what I thought, but spent a day sitting at the lathe making up a better front cover with phbrnz bearings in a stainless end cap. I think it will be better than the plain brass job that V**vo produce!

BarryH

Visit site

To be honest, thats the conclusion that I'm coming too. Ok the thing isn't brand new. But since I had the thing the parts that have had to be changed are endless. Its easier to state what hasn't been changed. The only original parts left are the block, crank pistons and cam shaft. Nearly everything elase has either been replaced or has had needed major work on it. As in the head rebuild a while ago!