Using oxalic acid on teak deeck

srah1953

Visit site
Hi All
I have purchased some oxalic acid to use on a teak deck. Do I just brush it diluted on the deck or does it need to be agitated with a sponge, for example? How long do I need to leave it before rinsing off?
Many thanks

pheran

Visit site
Hi All
I have purchased some oxalic acid to use on a teak deck. Do I just brush it diluted on the deck or does it need to be agitated with a sponge, for example? How long do I need to leave it before rinsing off?
Many thanks

We used to do ours with a diluted solution, applied with a reasonably coarse sponge and mildly agitated across the grain. Don't brush hard or go with the grain - teak consists of tiny 'pips' of hardwood that will be removed by too vigorous treatment. Wash off before it dries - but be careful of the run-off on paint or polished surfaces. Never, ever use a power-washer!

Visit site
I have used Oxalic on oil stains but would not consider using it as a fuoll deck treatment.

Previous advice re nothing more harsh than a sponge is good, as is avoiding pressure washers and going with the grain, across is best.

I have been using Teak Wonder, so far the best results, a bi-annual clean and seal keeps it looking very good.

srah1953

Visit site
Your teak will look cleaner and last longer if you treat it 2 or 3 times a year with Boracol instead.

I'll have to see where I might find a source for boracol. I thought the oxalic acid had been well recommended on previous posts. Wessex teak cleaner got great reviews on this forum but they won't deliver to Ireland.
PS how does it feel to be imminently boatless?

pvb

Visit site
I'll have to see where I might find a source for boracol. I thought the oxalic acid had been well recommended on previous posts. Wessex teak cleaner got great reviews on this forum but they won't deliver to Ireland.
PS how does it feel to be imminently boatless?

I order Boracol from ACS (http://acslimited.co.uk/teak-deck-maintenance-boracol/) who seem to be reasonable on pricing. It's a great low-effort treatment to keep teak looking clean, and it doesn't involve unnecessary abrasion. I've also used it on my sprayhood, with good results.

The "imminently boatless" feeling is strange. I've had my Hallberg-Rassy for 19 years, so it's become part of my life, but it's time to move on. Right now, I'm polishing and antifouling it ready for the new owner to take delivery, and by early May I should be completely boatless. Then it'll be time to decide what to do next!

Fslide1-11_zpsd0fc364f.jpg

sc9_zps89d6f24d.jpg

Last edited:

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
I was introduced to oxalic acid by someone who used to work on superyachts. It's THE treatment for bringing them back to colour again.

When we did a test for a magazine it won hands down, pour it over the decks, leave for a bit then wash off. And keep washing off. Even after rinsing we walked through it and left pretty sole marks on the untreated teak.

srah1953

Visit site
I was introduced to oxalic acid by someone who used to work on superyachts. It's THE treatment for bringing them back to colour again.

When we did a test for a magazine it won hands down, pour it over the decks, leave for a bit then wash off. And keep washing off. Even after rinsing we walked through it and left pretty sole marks on the untreated teak.

Hi Graham. You didn't see a need to agitate it?
Thanks

pheran

Visit site
To the OP

If you decide to go for one of the proprietary products mentioned on this thread, be sure to check the chemical makeup first. On some, you may well find the active ingredient is..................oxalic acid, just dressed up with bits added and sold to you at an inflated price.

ralf2

Visit site
I use it on our teak decks, mix in bucket with warm water to help dissolve , it will tarnish aluminium , it also Dave you so use eye protection and gloves etc.

pvb

Visit site
It's worth remembering that the reason oxalic acid restores the original teak colour is because it eats away the weathered surface layer of the wood. Keep using it, and your teak will disappear! Not a problem, presumably, for those with superyacht budgets, but many of us would prefer to preserve our teak for as long as possible. The most economical way of keeping the "just new" colour is to specify fake teak.