Useful electrical items

suse

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
.. have yet to find a solution for towels...

[/ QUOTE ]

My solution: those weird 'towels' from camping shops, which absorb heaps of water are pretty good, if rather spartan, and if you can hang them up to dry. One will dry me all over AND towel dry my hair, which then wind/sun dries. Easy to wash out, great for travelling, take up no space with limited storage.

Additionally, if I need a cover up towel (public shower, etc), I bought one of those cheap - REALLY cheap - towel bales from Argos £8, I think. Even the biggest ones are thin (cheap) enough but dry you properly and can easily be washed by hand - unlike a decent (thick, heavy, large, expensive) towel.

All the above without feeling I'm roughing it.

S x

Forbsie

Visit site
Suse, you could always buy an Instakilt which could also provide an extra outfit for Hogmanay and Burns Night and St Andrews Night.

instakilt_small.gif

Visit site
Useful electrical items ??

Kettle..
Sewing machine (ELNA)
Spare 2 ring electric hob (23 euros Carrefour)
Hand food whizzer
Electric fan heater.
3 laptops
Server
TV Monitor
LCD Projector
FRIDGE
Soldering station
Genny
Power tools
Portable 800w vacuum cleaner

Non useful items we dont have...
Washing machine / drier etc
Hair drier

we DO have an iron, but.. not for clothes.. for seaming prior to sewing...

peter60

Visit site
we live aboard our Colvic Watson 32 all year in brittany but have cruised most seas and a few oceans. we have a 1000watt honda generator that runs all the 240 system and charges our batteries we have a washing machine and a spin dryer that takes little power and all in plastic a 2 amp solar panel keeps things ok in the sun
sorry have to go coming into port

Visit site
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hi Olive, yes, she has !!!!

Naw, really we have a tiny portable each for day to day use, the biggie (DELL XPS) for games and serious stuff.. and the server is the ship system and storage. We have them all networked and can stream video audio from the server.
I know, I know, but I was always sad lol...
/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JJ&M

Visit site
Hi Paul
The server runs the Wifi distribution, chart plotting software (Backup to the main fixed plotter), stores movies, mp3's (I have 1.7 terrabytes storage on the server) Monitors boat systems via raymarine st to nmea converter and custom vb prog.
We leave it on when on shorepower. from our small laptops we can select, for instance, a movie each, and stream them over the network simultaneously. We use it as the entertainment center for the boat too.. (Windows media center). It is also used as a realtime backup storage for anything we are working on on the laptops.
I specced a fast enough dual core athlon when I built it to offer realtime divx / xvid encoding too.

Joe

mikehibb

Visit site
SWMBO has a portable DVD player. It is nearly two years old but we still get nearly 3 hrs out of it per charge. Enough for a movie and a couple of epsodes of "Friends" (her choice not mine) can be charged either from 12V or from mains (vian inverter or shore power)