Used boat prices

G

Re: tellus more

Sounds impressive but its dead easy really.

Euro tunnel to France, follow them long straight roads till you get your feet wet in Barcelona. Then Over night Transmed ferry to Mahon. Off ferry 9.00am, speak nicely to Sunseeker Menorca, Boat craned in, trailer stored, moored off Binibeca and in the beach bar for lunch.

We've also done it the hard way, which is Launch at Port Vendre and cruise to the Island. This is a bit of a pain cos waiting for a weather window can take weeks.

tcm

Visit site
Re: how long, to barcelona

your account makes it sound as tho the whol trip takes a day! From calais, what's a reasonable estimate for getting to barcelona, and what are u using to drag t'boat?

G

As you well aware the Frenchies make a mean autoroute where excessive speeds are possible ;-) Even the route accross the Spanish mountains is'nt bad but your average speed drops.

Seriously because of the quality of the roads 70-75mph is fairly safe and easy, so it takes about 18 hours driving.

It used to take much longer in my 4.6L V8 Range rover cos you had to stop for petrol every 100 miles or so. (She was really quite thirsty)

Chris771

Ormskirk UK, Cabinda, Gabon or Paphos, Cyprus
Visit site
Re:Double Yellows

Well spotted David!

It was actually at the entrance to the Steamer Quay carpark in Totnes on the day I bought her. In summer there is always a queue, in mid january on the dead end road there is probably one car every 20 minutes if you are lucky so I do not think the two minutes taking the photo had a significant impact on the quality on anyone's life.

You cannot quite see the raggie behind Polar Fox, but he shows up once he gets on the plane.

Just back in Malabo after the overnight flight down from Madrid, it is the rainy season and it has poured all day, the decks are about 4 inches deep in water. Still at least the rain is warm.

Adrian: Yes it is a Ssangyong, actually my second one. Having owned a variety of 4 x 4s over the years it is actually my favourite for mainly road use and boat towing (off road it would probably not fare very well, but that is not what I use it for). The GSE has all the bells & whistles and usually returns about 31.5 mpg and even 26 mpg towing, compared to my last Landcruiser which did 16-17 mpg towing.

I still have it at 6 years old, because since Daewoo took over they no longer offer the sunroof and cruise control. I want a Mercedes 270 next, but just having bought the Antares and not sold Polar Fox yet that project will have to wait a while. If anyone from Daewoo is reading: you may sell more if you offered the extras which buyers want, I know a couple of other ex Ssangyong owners who were directed elsewhere to get sunroof/cruise.

The Ssangyong suspension and long wheelbase seem ideally suited to towing a big trailer a bit more power would be useful on steep hills though to save having to start dropping down the box. The worst towing vehicle I ever had was a swb Landrover, with the cart springs the tail really used to wag the dog and that did get scary. Once I moved onto Daihatsu/Trooper/Landcruiser/etc. the stability problems were over, though the Ssangyong is the most stable of the lot at speed.

Chris

www.impact-computers.net/boat/cruiser.htm

tcm

Visit site

not bad, 18hours, must be 800+ miles.

I am aware of the lovely autoroutes, and of course we share the driving to med. So, after the fist 5/6 hours the wife drives (or she did once) . Within only ten minutes I was ready to take over again!

tcm

Visit site
Re:aargh Mercedes 270

wife of jfm (poster hereabouts) only gets 22mpg out of her diesel merc M270, even with various unmentionable substances added to the fuel. I met her and she does not seem to have lead feet, nor a Mclaren bodysuit.

G

SWIMBO is quite happy to tow a jetski, but blind panic sets in at the thought of her towing the boat. (Both her and me !!)

Just read the end of your last post, we currently tow with a Discovery TD5, its not bad with about 15mpg towing (heavy right foot) but the active suspension gets confused sometimes with the weight on the back and starts popping up and down like some demented Latin American jumping car.

In the past 3 years we have towed with Jeep Grand Cherokees ( 4.0 petrol and 2.5 Diesel), 3.9L V8 Discovery and a 4.6 HSE Range Rover. The best for towing was the Rangie but the fuel bills were seriously frightening, worst was 5mpg !! (Climate on full, boat loaded for a months cruising and a roof box)

G

How long is "1 Day" on autoroute ?

When i'm driving down I get into a routine of stopping every 200 miles for fuel and Red Bull, hence about 18 hours.

Chris771

Ormskirk UK, Cabinda, Gabon or Paphos, Cyprus
Visit site
Re:aargh Mercedes 270

Thanks for that, never realised that 270s were that thirsty. The 5 legged 2.9 Merc in the Ssangyong rarely ever drops below 29 mpg no matter how hard I drive it, unless towing.

Well, maybe it will have to be one of the Daewoos after all and just take a tin opener to it and fit cruise, but I still do not see why I have to do that with a new vehicle.

Chris

www.impact-computers.net/boat/cruiser.htm