Use and abuse of Coastguard

Quiddle

Visit site
Radiochecks have been discussed at length but what is the opinion on telephoning/radioing HMC for weather,tide and other information? Are they happy to help or see it as laziness for not using other sources? Any HMC in forum who would like to comment?

<hr width=100% size=1>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
My mate rings them for the tide. To fish off Blackpool Pier. He says there very helpfull!!

<hr width=100% size=1> <font color=blue>No one can force me to come here.<font color=red> I'm a volunteer!!.<font color=blue>

Haydn

jamesjermain

Visit site
When they are not too busy they are usually very happy too oblige. However, they do tend to get a bit shirty when a yottie calls two minutes after they have put out their regular safety and weather information bulletin. I have heard them simply give the time and channel for the next broadcast.

Ringing the Coastguard is always a good idea if you can cos it keeps the Ch16 and Ch67 a bit freer.

<hr width=100% size=1>JJ

jimi

Visit site
Must admit I installed Navtex because I always missed the weather forecast by 90 seconds!!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Once phoned Dover CG for some info, which was freely volunteered, and then we must have spent 10 minutes having a general chat, along the lines, "What do you sail?" "Do you manage to get out on the water yourself." "Oh, I used to race on one of those." "Just do a bit of fishing nowadays", etc.

Guess it depends how busy they are.

PS. If you're phoning Dover CG with a number obtained from Directory Enquiries, don't be surprised if you find yourself talking to the pub that's called "The Coastguard'. The landlady keeps the real CG number handy for you though!

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

Sybarite

Visit site
My very first post some 7/8 months ago was to suggest that there was a dedicated VHF channel for recorded weather forecasts as there is/was in the Med.

I still think it is a good idea.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

BlackSheep

Visit site
Tame Coastie.....

Well there's one tame coastie out here...... just about to go on ch 16 for 2 hrs. To be honest, the odd radio check would be quite welcome at this time in the morning..... if just for the simple human contact! can get a wee bit lonely, listening to 14 aerials of silence!! However..... come saturday afternoon, a different story!!
Seriously though, Radio checks, not really a problem (well at least not on the Clyde - I do take my hat off to our colleagues at Solent and their patience at times !!!), If they can be done on a working channel to another vessel or to the marina so much the better, but that's not always possible so we're quite happy to give a quick check on 16. But Please be patient.... even if all seems tranquil on the airwaves in one location, total chaos could be in progress elsewhere! example: Wednesday pm, we had three jobs on all at once in the Southern area... 1) a vessel towing 2 workboats round the MOK, the tow had parted, fouled the prop of the tug & the other 2 were going aground... 2) a mo bo with engine failure in the West Kyle and 3) a fallen walker on a cliff path on Arran. With 3 lifeboats, the coastguard cutter, a Navy helo & various coastguard teams all on the go, 'twas a bit like the mad hatter's tea party in here!!! Anyone North of Gigha however, would probably have been blissfully unaware..... so if the forecast is late or postponed, there could be a reasonable explanation. Normally though, we're more than happy to give weather/tide info etc & have a blether over the phone or on a working channel. Oh and we have a daily - boat-with-the-silliest-name competition!!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Thank you

I try not to bother the CG. Have not bothered you for thirty years now, and I hope I can get to the end of my sailing career without ever contacting the Coastguard, by VHF, phone or whatever.

Nice to know you are there, but I reckon you have proper ships and boats, earning their livings, to think about, and should not be bothered by us yotties.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Ohdrat

Visit site
Re: Tame Coastie.....

And even possitively wild..

I dunno how Shetland CG felt having to pluck (from a helicopter) a guy off a 19 ft speed boat trying to cross from Iceland to Shetland the other day.. talk about unlikely craft in unlikely places.. wonder what the MOBO forum would think of it?

Just discovered <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.coastguardnews.co.uk/>this site</A>

duncan

Visit site
Re: Tame Coastie.....

19ft totally impractical - need a 21fter for that trip to hold the fuel needed......../forums/images/icons/smile.gif

on the subject of CG calls for info - someone called Solent for some tide info Saturday (amazing they got through the radio checks really) to be told to look it up in their almanac, which they had got on board hadn't they...everything went very quiet! You could sense a load of hear hears from the listening crowds.
I thought the best radio check of the day had to be the vessel that called up got check then called m8 who imeadiately responded - I ask you!

<hr width=100% size=1>

TheBoatman

Visit site
Re: Thank you

Mirelle
You surprise me, what do you do when you sail some distance, do you not give the CG your safety traffic?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Ohdrat

Visit site
Re: Fuel

Apparently he was reported as missing when he failed to rendevous with the yacht (yup a raggie) carrying his fuel../forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>

HMCG

Visit site
Good evening all,

In general we are more than happy to give ot the forecast or tidal information. If we are busy casualty working we may ask you to call again later or try another source. I suggest that you try the next station along the coast. If we are a little shirty with anyone it is because we are very very busy and are probably in the very early stages of an incident.

We are here to give weather information as much as anything else we do. By giving a forecast we may prevent an incident from even begining and that is how we look at it (normally).

Regards,

HMCG

<hr width=100% size=1>
These are my own thoughts not the MCA's

duncan

Visit site
hear hear - said as one who just doesn't understand why you don't get more shirty than you do on occassions!

BTW Why don't you request call signs from all those requesting radio checks?

<hr width=100% size=1>

HMCG

Visit site
We do not demand callsigns due to the fact that it is the Radiocommunications Agency that is responsible for them. If we did we would spend all day listening to abuse about having to pay for a licence. ;)

Regards,

HMCG

<hr width=100% size=1>
These are my own thoughts not the MCA's

Ohdrat

Visit site
Re: GPS

Errr no .. apparently he (the powerboat) didn't have GPS and no VHF at all!.. infact he only a mobile phone that for some strange reason it wasn't working.. bet it wasn't even a satphone/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>