US teak & holly vs Robbins of Bristol?

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
What’s the difference between

Teak & Holly Cabin-Sole Plywood 4x8 | worldpanel at $277 per 8x4 sheet
and
https://www.robbins.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/Retail-Price-Guide-7.pdf at £568 per 8x4 sheet.

I’m thinking of replacing/renewing our boats cabin sole boards that are looking a bit tired after nearly 40 years. We’re probably in Florida next year so I could buy locally there at 1/3 price of Robbins. And Robbins isn’t even genuine teak! However the comment on the US suppliers website where it says ‘interior use only’ worries me about the qualities of the glues they use.

I’ve gritted my teeth and paid Robbins prices before and the quality of their marine ply is excellent. However…

Any inside knowledge?

westernman

www.devalk.nl
When you arrive back in the UK you will of course declare the improvements made to your good ship and the cost of the materials used and pay the relevant import duties, taxes and VAT.

By which time the US stuff will be the same price of the Robbins UK stuff.

laika

Visit site
Ask what kind of ply each of them uses? There's a big difference in price between interior ply and BS 1088 marine ply which I assume Robbins use. You probably don't need it to last forever and at less than half the price you'd be quids in if you needed to buy twice over the remaining time you own the boat. But woodwork was my worst subject at school so I'm the last person to listen to on this subject.

Tranona

Visit site
Consider making your own using 1.5mm teak construction veneers on top of your existing boards. It comes in various sizes, but the ones I bought were approx 16cm wide and between 2.5 and 3m long. You lose a bit of length on each one because of splits but I got 2 5.5mm strips out of each length using a bandsaw. Glued down then caulked with Sika 290 - black in my case, but guess you would want cream or white. I did not do my internal sole boards as they were pretty sound and the patina on the main wearing area suits the boat. However I have just done the coachroof either side of the hatch where I shall be mounting the clutches and winch and have enough veneer to do the cockpit next winter. I did the same sort of thing on my original Eventide cockpit but used coloured epoxy grout for the seams. it was 30 years old when I sold the boat and still sound.

Back of the envelope cost about £60 sqm plus adhesive so less than half the cost of Robbins sheets but of course a lot more work. However no waste because you will be able to make your strips to fit your existing boards.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
When you arrive back in the UK you will of course declare the improvements made to your good ship and the cost of the materials used and pay the relevant import duties, taxes and VAT.

By which time the US stuff will be the same price of the Robbins UK stuff.
Naturally. However the declared costs (IIRC) excludes maintenance items.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
I think that was the point I was trying to make. Replacing worn (and perhaps warped) cabin sole boards is maintenance, not an improvement.
Anyway it’s probably not going to happen so the discussion is academic.
The key phrase is:-
Has undergone no more than running repairs outside the UK and has not been upgraded to increase its value.
I think replacing cabin sole boards is borderline.

ean_p

Visit site
What’s the difference between

Teak & Holly Cabin-Sole Plywood 4x8 | worldpanel at $277 per 8x4 sheet
and
https://www.robbins.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/Retail-Price-Guide-7.pdf at £568 per 8x4 sheet.

I’m thinking of replacing/renewing our boats cabin sole boards that are looking a bit tired after nearly 40 years. We’re probably in Florida next year so I could buy locally there at 1/3 price of Robbins. And Robbins isn’t even genuine teak! However the comment on the US suppliers website where it says ‘interior use only’ worries me about the qualities of the glues they use.

I’ve gritted my teeth and paid Robbins prices before and the quality of their marine ply is excellent. However…

Any inside knowledge?
E mail and ask why only for interior use as they are fully conversant with BS1088 etc so should have a reasonable answer......