Ursuit MPS or 'proper' drysuit or...

madbowman

Visit site
Doing the Fastnet this year, and also work on sailing boats (both racing and deliveries / corporate events etc).

I spend quite a bit of time offshore, and quite often on very wet racing boats - I seem to spend a lot of time at the wet pointy end. I need to get a new pair of salopettes, as I am currently using a thin, cold and slightly leaky inshore set - probably looking along the lines of the Musto MPX / HPX range (I appreciate the differences, I would love HPX but can't quite afford them yet!).

I have been looking around and have seen on Ebay some drysuits for roughly the price of a new set of salopettes, so am considering buying one of these instead. Any ideas whether this is a stupid idea or not greatly appreciated!!

There are quite a few Henri Lloyd Ocean Pro Drysuits / Musto HPX drysuits from ex clipper crews for sale, but I have also seen a few 'Ursuit MPS' mid layer drysuits (haven't heard of them until today). If anyone has recommendations or otherwise, especially about the Ursuits, please do say.

If I decide to go down the drysuit route, thoughts on the best option would be amazing - with a limited budget, I only really want to spend up to the cost of MPX salopettes - I cannot afford a brand new £1,000 + drysuit at the moment!!

bbg

Visit site
Doing the Fastnet this year, and also work on sailing boats (both racing and deliveries / corporate events etc).

I spend quite a bit of time offshore, and quite often on very wet racing boats - I seem to spend a lot of time at the wet pointy end. I need to get a new pair of salopettes, as I am currently using a thin, cold and slightly leaky inshore set - probably looking along the lines of the Musto MPX / HPX range (I appreciate the differences, I would love HPX but can't quite afford them yet!).

I have been looking around and have seen on Ebay some drysuits for roughly the price of a new set of salopettes, so am considering buying one of these instead. Any ideas whether this is a stupid idea or not greatly appreciated!!

There are quite a few Henri Lloyd Ocean Pro Drysuits / Musto HPX drysuits from ex clipper crews for sale, but I have also seen a few 'Ursuit MPS' mid layer drysuits (haven't heard of them until today). If anyone has recommendations or otherwise, especially about the Ursuits, please do say.

If I decide to go down the drysuit route, thoughts on the best option would be amazing - with a limited budget, I only really want to spend up to the cost of MPX salopettes - I cannot afford a brand new £1,000 + drysuit at the moment!!

I did the Mini Transat in an Ursuit Gemino Operative. Best wet weather gear I've ever owned, by a mile. Unfortunately it is out of your price range ...

madbowman

Visit site
Thanks, might keep an eye out for any of those second hand...

In terms of the Musto drysuit or Henri Lloyd Drysuit do you have any opinions as to which is better? Ive seen the HPX one has an inflation tube - is this a benefit or drawback?

dunedin

Visit site

madbowman

Visit site
I would have thought there would be a considerable difference in suit needed as an emergency survival suit, when generally static, vs one to be worn in a very active racing role such as a bow man. The latter needs a suit which doesn’t restrict movement, and don’t get too hot when doing manoeuvres.

Yes, different uses - although I have managed to get some useful advice on that thread!

This is partly why I was thinking of the mid layer Ursuit drysuit, although I think I am leaning more towards the more conventional H - L / Musto ones!!