Upsetting for Blakey

chuckaduck

www.coolphotographic.com
Hmmm

if you wanted to find a way to drive more people away from the water then thats it

but how to enforce it is the question unless the ea assume the position of the gehamstats politsei it will not be a realistic law

However if the ea do well there soon would be no boats at al on the river and no revenue

Its not because we are all p155artists but most enjoy a few glasses of wine and are still capable of navigating at the extreme and fatal speed of 4 knts

Madness I say

considering the majority of deaths due to drink on the thames are from land based p155artists who venture/fall into the river

where will this end ? no smoking on vessels maybe ?

no fornicating as well

and of course enjoying yourself will be banned too

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
We can't do 7 knots on the river anyway, so it shouldn't apply.

What's this? The government using knots, has anyone told the EA?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you will find its "capable of exceeding 7 knots" but the one good side is that it mght make those dickheads at the EA realise boats work in Knots and not Kilometers per hour.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
One report says 7 metres and/or over 7 knots.

Come on guys....we hardly ever see a river inspector now. Mind you they might see extra inspectors with radar guns as a nice way to increase income.
Dunno how theyre going to police the 'who was driving' bit though - not exactly like being seatbelted in the drivers seat, is it!

There was a private hire boat on the river last Saturday with at least eight well oiled on board - not very pleasant and all over the place.

Poignard

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Although I doubt that there will be many nabos capable of speeds in excess of 7 knots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Theoretical maximum hull speed = 1.34 x square root of waterline length

Square root of 70 feet = 8.37

Multiply by 1.34 = 11.2 Knots!

It only needs a fast enough horse.

TrueBlue

Visit site
Ah but

Very interesting, and I've always wondered -

In the very old days, before puffer trains when narrowboats were an accepted form of transport, there were "fast" passenger and small freight boats called fly boats. These were made with very fine lines so that they could go fast. That's as far as the perceived wisdom goes and there is no current knowledge as to how fast they actually went, but I suspect that they could achieve the design speed if they had a team of horses in tandem going at a very fast trot - or a slow canter.

Bit anoraky, but thought it might be of interest....

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
Re: Ah but

I don't know how accurate the account in "Hornblower and The Atropos" of the flyboat trip along the Thames & Severn and then the Thames might be but the implication is a fair old lick "nearly as fast as the stage coach" is the quote, about 10mph.