Upgrading Alternator

G

I have a Volvo MD31 with it's standard 55A alternator. I want to upgrade the alternator capacity to around 100 - 120A. (I cannot fit a second alternator as space already occupied with engine fridge compressor)

Can anyone give me any recommendations as to which to choose and who to talk to?

Many thanks
Bruce

B

bob_tyler

It might be a good idea to post this on another forum as well such as Reader to Reader where there are more practical answers.

billmacfarlane

Visit site
Are you upgrading your alternator to give yourself more battery charging power ? If so why not fit a device like an Adverc that will increase your total battery capacity by charging your existing batteries more efficiently.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Talk to Adverc, 01902 380494 Brian Lewis and the other guys are extremely helpful and sell alternators as well as battery management systems. They sell Prestolite alternators around 75/90amps - I bought one a couple of years ago and upgraded the old unit on my OM636 - worked a treat. Have just bought a Princess 32 with twin AQD32's (similar to your 31?)so will probably be back to them myself shortly!

boatone@boatsonthethames.co.uk

dk

Visit site
Balmar make a wide range of high output alternators. They also make an excellent voltage multi-step regulator which will make sure that all the juice that is being produced by the alternator is made available to the battery.

Balmar gear can be bought from Merlin Equipment (www.power-store.com) in Poole, or On Board Power (www.onboardpower.com) in Hamble Point.

Hope this helps.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
I'll second that - I have a 100amp prestolite and adverc charging unit (essential). This gives a really good value set up that works. Now been running some 4 years.