Updating software - Raymarine E90W using CF Card

dunedin

Visit site
Anybody done a software update on the Raymarine E90W plotter ?

My 2011 produced unit is on software version 2.49. and according to Raymarine site the latest (and final?) version available is v2.65 from July 2012.
I wouldn't normally bother to change software, but we recently installed AIS and the main update with V2.65 is listed as "Improved AIS performance including increase of Class B AIS target time-out period correct TCPA calculations". Correct TCPA seems worthwhile.

Anybody done this update and if so, is it a safe and stable update - or to be avoided.

(Clearly the theoretical mechanics of doing this are listed on the Raymarine site - http://www.raymarine.co.uk/view/?id=4000 Its the advisability that concerns me here)

Birdseye

Visit site
I suspect that in your heart of hearts you know the wisest answer or you wouldnt be asking the question. Personally I wouldnt rely on the TCPA anyway so I wouldnt value a theoretically more accurate one above the likelyhood that an update will cause as many problems as it solves.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
I updated the firmware on my C80 a couple of years ago. Also a final firmware version from 2012 if I recall.

It was a successful excercise using a CF card done for AIS reasons although haven't actually gotten around to connecting the AIS output to the plotter as yet. Project for 2016!

Richard

PeterC

Visit site
I need to do mind - who will be brave enough to go first?

Mine doesnt enable me to place the ais into "stealth" mode at the moment - i think the agent reckoned that was an ais update but who knows.

Gypsy

www.tech-x.com.au
I have updated my E120W which uses the same software. I just followed the instructions from Raymarine and it went smoothly. Whilst you may not want to rely on the TCPA calculations, the longer Class B target time-outs reduces the number of 'lost target' messages. I haven't seen any 'introduced problems' from my update.

dunedin

Visit site
I have updated my E120W which uses the same software. I just followed the instructions from Raymarine and it went smoothly. Whilst you may not want to rely on the TCPA calculations, the longer Class B target time-outs reduces the number of 'lost target' messages. I haven't seen any 'introduced problems' from my update.

Perfect thanks. Got a CF card and reader on order so will have a go at this

Jurgen

Visit site
I updated the firmware on my C80 a couple of years ago. Also a final firmware version from 2012 if I recall.

It was a successful excercise using a CF card done for AIS reasons although haven't actually gotten around to connecting the AIS output to the plotter as yet. Project for 2016!

Richard

Have the same thing planned lol

cookjwm

Visit site
did my E120 without problems -except that the radar now defaults to switched on, and it did not beforehand. Means I now have to switch the radar off every time I switch the systems on as I rarely need it and its a big battery drain.
Or have I missed something?

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
My old C120 did this with the original software release back in 2005 and with any subsequent updates, it was a pain having to wait for the radar to power up before it could be powered down each time the unit was switched on - usually at the start of a trip.

syneraida

syneraida.com
I updated my C120 a year or so ago without issue, from memory the only thing you need to be careful of is the size of the compact flash card, I think 128MB is the max size my plotter would accept before the upgrade (after it was "unlimited"), it's remarkably hard to find small compact flash cards in shops, you'll need to try somewhere like amazon.

dunedin

Visit site
An update - did the software upgrade today and so far so good.

Preparations needed including
- buying a CF card reader for connecting to a PC - handy as also used to update the Navionics chart card on CF format
- buying two low capacity blank CF cards on eBay - 128Mb for saving the waypoints etc, and 1Gb for putting the software on. Used low capacity ones as advised by the Raymarine site
- downloading the software via PC form the Raymarine site
- saving all the data and settings - also wrote down settings on paper
- rebooting with software card in slot - 5 minutes and a robot later all done, and all settings and data still there
Not yet done a sea trial but update process simple enough if take time to read instructions and follow
PS Have all instructions copies into word document to take to boat if of use

Pearl625

Visit site
Hello;
my E90w has been unable to read updated charts on a couple of my CF cards. I tried to get help from Navionics, but they insist my plotter be updated to 2.65 (i am on 2.49).
I have a 128MB and a 512MB CF Card, but the software is 320MB and won't fit on the 128MB CF. Raymarine site states that the 128MB is largest I can use.
Maybe I'm unzipping the software incorrectly. How am I supposed to extract the two folders, intact, onto the 128MB CF card?

I tried copying both folders to the root directory of the 512MB card and then inserting the card into my E90w. The plotter did not react.
Can you help / guide me?

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
I can't see any way you can unzip incorrectly. However there might be text files in there which are not part of the system files which you can delete after you have extracted the folders to your PC and before copying to the CF card.

However, if there are two zipped folders it sounds as if they might be for two different variants of the plotter and you only need one folder or the other.

If you do need both folders and all the files, then try using the 512MB card.

Richard