Update on Temp Residence in Portugal

Heckler

Visit site
Well, bit the bullet this morning, me and the bride toddled off to the Camara (council) office this morning in Albufeira. Well armed with docs. First stop the Finance office to get a fiscal number. Take a ticket and wait for 15 mins or so, then a very nice lady did the biz and we walked out the proud possesors of one each. Then across the road to the main office, take another ticket and wait for half an hour. Some more paperwork and we now have temporary residents papers, valid for 5 years. They cost €15 each.
All we had to provide was passports, drivers licence, a copy of the marina invoice with the address of the boat on, ie Pontoon F43 and mum and dads names. They wanted to know what quals we had leaving school, ie did we do uni, but were quite happy with apprenticeship.

This article from Algarve Daily News.com seems to sum it up well
Oops, shouldnt have quoted so much, have put the url instead. https://algarvedailynews.com/news/1...cy-for-citizens-of-the-eu-eea-and-switzerland

Last edited:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Well done Stu, that's a pretty comprehensive essay:)

A couple of points - anyone wanting to convert temporary to permanent residence now shouldn't wait as there can be 2 - 3 months wait for appointment depending where resident, they're very busy. Secondly, I'm upset that we can't get a free house here and benefits, as do many Portuguese in the UK.:(

You up for lunch this week?

Heckler

Visit site

A couple of points - anyone wanting to convert temporary to permanent residence now shouldn't wait as there can be 2 - 3 months wait for appointment depending where resident, they're very busy. Secondly, I'm upset that we can't get a free house here and benefits, as do many Portuguese in the UK.:(

Sim! You coming this way?

Heckler

Visit site
Well done Stu - the definative answer.✔️
The lady in the Algarve Daily News wrote all but the first para. But was amazed how straight forward it was.
If I understand it correctly we can now even import a UK car without paying enormous taxes

Last edited:

Caladh

Visit site

Yes there really is a horrendous number of Portuguese nationals who have flooded the Uk escaping their their very sad civil war.

Heckler

Visit site
At least 2 have done the same in Faro using a certain boatyard as an address apparently, sounded like a simple process.
It was. I commented to the council officer doing the paperwork, he said in Portugal we are very bureaucratic. I said not any more, in the UK this would have taken weeks!