Update on t31 no history(ref brokers bull)

G

Just thought you`d like to know my findings on the 1993 Targa 31 with no service history prior to 1998, which the brokers say is not really important.Boat stolen from Fairline yard in 93 recovered in poole in 1995 at Cobbs Quay on the hard, that the reason why a Volvo dealer hadnt serviced it as it would have shown up on penta link.sold to a dutchman in malloca by peters on instruction of insurance company under brokerage no servive included in deal, p/x back to Peters 18 months later for a new t38. shipped back to UK and sold to current owner in 1998.so no evidence of any servicing for 5 years, since then however fully maintained . Question do i still proceed and make an offer subject to the usual, and is all this going to effect the re-sale value??????

adarcy

Visit site
If you can get an official-looking letter from Peters to that effect (the history gap) and it has been looked after since 1995, then you should have no trouble selling it. After all, you are considering buying it and you will have a ready answer for any punter.

It's just a question of the price as always, when you have sorted out the provenance.

Anthony

G

Re: peters

ah, well, now that might be easily okay, seeing as how (I bet) this boat wot we are talking about is for sale from peters in chich for 72 grand and in MBY this month! Which imho is quite quite top dosh. Ithink it's worth less than 60. okay, 60 tops. If it was petrols it would be worth about 44. I bet the petrol version could be retrofitted with new diesels for this sort of differential. Or driven around quite quickly buring up not too much petrol with the 28 grand you've saved.

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
Iain, are you not concerned about the gaps and inconsistencies in the information on the boat? Originally you mentioned that the broker at Peters didn't think it was worth doing these deals as he made nothing out of them. We now learn that the boat has passed through their hands more than a few times so on this boat alone at say 5% there has been quite a few quid in it for them. Also they must surely have some record or knowledge of what has happened to this boat in the past and despite this it is you that has had to go and do the research and have found out fairly quickly what the history is. The combination of the 'attitude' or display of disdain, designed to unnerve you, and non-declaration of the history indicates that they are most likely concerned about the history affecting it's resale value both now and in the future. There is no reason why it shouldn't with a boat, it does with most other major cost items, and you should bear it in mind and use it aggressively if you are making an offer. Suspect that the boat looks OK to you but I would certainly check out all the usual very carefully. Good luck, let us know what happens.

ari

Visit site
He isn't buying ity through Peters, he's buying it through Ancasta...

The history wouldn't put me off personally provided I had full and proper title with the boat. The boat is the boat, it is what you are buying that matters , and the fact that you have proper ownership to it.

Ari

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Ian, I would be concerned about 2 things, firstly whether the fact that it is stolen/recovered will affect it's future resale and secondly whether it was damaged during the period it was stolen eg dropped from a hoist or badly slung. Advise your surveyor of the boat's history and he should be able to detect any damage
I would'nt be worried about its lack of service history providing that an engine survey showed no problems
There is no way, however, that this boat should sell for top dollar given its history. I would say that, if the boat genuinely interests you, by all means make an offer but substantially less than asking price - as I said in reply to your previous posting £50k (yes, I know you disagree Ari) sounds like a good starting point. Explain to the broker that you are aware of the boats history and thats why your offer is low. If the average buying price for a T31 is £70k, then I definitely would'nt pay more than £58k, £60k tops for it

ari

Visit site
Actually, there is one thing I would consider thinking about it.

Given its history, it might be worth checking that things like engine serial numbers or HIN numbr haven't been ground off. Even though if they have you'd know why, that potentially would put off a future purchaser if it came to light during survey for instance.

Assuming all that is OK (and as mentioned all title documents are in order) I can't see why the history would affect its value although you've got to consider a future buyer going through the same thought process you are. I suppose I could just about understand someone not proceeding with buying it because of its history (although think most people would still go ahead if all could be proved to be above board and it was the boat they wanted at the price they were happy with) but can't see why the value would be less. The boat isn't going to go slower, use more fuel, be increasingly likely to sink, be any less fun because it went missing for a bit in its dim and distant past.

coliholic

Visit site
Think I agree with ari on this one.Just 'cos it was nicked a few years ago and has been scrupulously maintained and serviced since, shouldn't have a real bearing on it's current value. I'd agree with Mike that you could use the "nicked and recovered" bit as a negotiating gambit, but in reality can't see how it affects the value of it.

Certainly if I were selling the boat, I wouldn't reduce the price just because of the nicked bit, especially after all this time. If there's any other faults or problems that come to light from the survey, well maybe a different story