Unreasonable behavior

G

Opinions please as to wether it is reasonable to tack dingies in strong winds through the moorings of two boat clubs.The river Coquet is not very wide and the boats are moored fore and aft and quite close together.Our club commitee was told by the Shore Base Trust that no boats had been damaged by them,and if any damage was done it would be put right,also they only allow experienced helms to tack between our boats I now wonder if I am safe rowing my tender between the moored boats. I believe the people in charge of the said dingies are RYA insructors. Am I wrong in thinking this is out of order.

G

of course you are. what do you want, a floating caravan site or a facility to be used by everyone?

G

If the river is as small as you say then where else do you want them to go ????? Maybe its you thats causing all the problems for them, I didnt expect you to think of that !!!!! My money says that the dinghy club has been there a lot longer than your boat so in effect your on their turf. It doesnt matter that they are qualified I`d go between boats especially if racing, why cos I would be wanting to win..... See you cant have it both ways, you want quiet place to moor your boat where someone will notice if its gone but you dont want the dinghy sailors, get real and wake up....

G

My ex club (only ex because I moved on) had the same problem, only the club had dinghies and yachts. True there were some dinghy sailors that behaved like idiots but then there were some yachties that were as bad.

Compromise was reached when penalties were put on any racing dinhy that hit a yacht and failed to report it. Also the start line was moved out of the moorings to a clear part of the river using a committee boat.

I will say that the river looks like a floating car park for yachts and it would be much better if a marina could be built and the fairway cleared. However environmentalists would put paid to that. I gave up on a swinging mooring and moved to a marina much more convienient.

G

Hello John,<BR><BR>Had a similar thing in Portsmouth Harbour. I did not mind the dink's beating up between the moored boats. But drew the line a Sunsail tacking up between them! My boat was clobbered twice with considerable damage the second time, ask Pantanious (or however the hell it is spelt) about the claim. Sunsail did not even reply to my letters. I do not mind folk tacking between moored boats but they must cover the cost of any damage.<BR><BR>Simes<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by kimhollamby on Wed Jan 30 22:01:02 2002 (server time).</FONT></P>

G

Hi Simes I dont object to dingies sailing between moored boats to get to the clear water up river or being towed up by there rescue boat live and let live.We do have to pay harbour dues to moor on the river,the marina is to expensive for me also is more restricted by tide.I do believe our club was there long before the Shore Base. From their response your title fits them very well Cheers. PS.I bet Sunsail dont pay very much for their sailing.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by kimhollamby on Wed Jan 30 22:00:09 2002 (server time).</FONT></P>

G

Re: Unreasonable behavior ?

For four years I suffered this problem on a swing mooring on a local river. Not only did I suffer chips off my gellcoat - that spoiled my day - but once I even found a length of S/S shroud jammed in my anchor fitting and a rusting hacksaw on the foredeck, clearly left behind as the miscreant made off with whatever was left of his rig. No "note under the windscreen blade" - of course!

What can you do? After four seasons I sold that boat, bought another and paid up to be in a marina, where I have stayed ever since.

The moral? If you leave the light of your life out on open waters, you will get clobbered - repeatedly, and there is nothing you can do about it if you stay there. It's just the same as leaving you car in a supermarket carpark; fancy your chances? So, want to join the ranks of the liveaboards?

Sigh, and try to enjoy the rest of your sailing!

Peter Gibbs

G

Its the amount of damage the dinghies do that goes unreported that gets my goat....

I'm all for boating for everybody - particularly getting youngsters on to the water, and we all make mistakes from time to time. But why oh why do dinghy sailors think they can just walk away from damage they have done to another boat?