unmissable Turkey

chrisrog

Visit site
Hi thanks for all the great ideas and info on greece.
What about turkey, is it as difficult and expensive as I have read about?

basba

Visit site
Turkey is much cheaper than Greece except fuel and drinks (but then you sail to a Greek Island to fill up with Fuel and Drinks, O Yeah and Pork). The only difficult part about Turkey is pursuading yourself to leave.
as a turkish, I can only tell you "thanks".
well, maybe religion and language differences can make turkey not the best alternative on paper.
I don't want to seem a pure supporter, but as a low budget sailor, turkey is a real paradise (for us).
during the day you can really enjoy your sails and at night you may sleep well, without thinking of any sort of inconvenient events, in an all-round protected bay.
italians who prefer greece to turkey, say that they feel at home in greece, while turkey maybe is a choise for who don't seek a home at all...

Oliveoyl

www.yotblog.com
We have sailed several times in Turkey,and totally agree about having to persuade oneself to leave. Finally chose Greece as an initial base for our boat, since easier to get to than Turkey for us as 80% liveaboards. However, we envisage Turkey in the future, inspite of the drinks/pork difficulty. On which subject, I find Efes quite comparable to Mythos, and if we drink less wine in TR then in GR, has to be better for our health. Plus, the food is soooo much better - mezze to die for. And, all the people we met were very friendly. Also, many archeological sites to visit, some in very unexpected places.

Visit site
We've enjoyed it, and calmer waters for OH -

I have lots of info on places to stop or routes and such on Turkey if you want, Articles etc etc. found it useful to extensively research before frightening her !

mostly centred around Chartering, but you are welcome to have set if you want.....

neil1967

Visit site
We keep our yacht in Fethiye - not yet in a position to live aboard unfortunately, so can't really comment on the pros and cons of living aboard in Turkey, but really love our time there - the Turks are friendly and the sailing excellent - challenging at times, but not overly so. Our experience only stretches from Bodrum to Antalya, but it has been excellent - which is why we keep Vivimus there and go back as much as possible. There is a good mix of opportunity - if you want to anchor in solitude, you can, but their are marinas if you need/want them. Superb!

Neil

Appleyard

Visit site
Hi thanks for all the great ideas and info on greece.
What about turkey, is it as difficult and expensive as I have read about?

We have been based there for 2 years now..the first time we entered the country was a bit of a hassle,as we got duff info.re the transit log. However once I sorted things out,subsequent times were a doddle,so its not difficult,Don't forget that you will be leaving the EU and "importing" your boat into another country,so you need a visa,(obtainable locally) and will need to visit the customs,health and passport offices.
It is not as cheap as it used to be..but where is nowadays?Fuel & booze are more than in Greece...so stock up.
Fresh fruit & veg are very cheap in season,especially from local markets which are all overr the place .Groceries etc. from the supermarket about 10%less than the UK ,but imported stuff is more expensive as you would expect.Beef & lamb are good value,but can be of variable quality.
We have always found the port police & authorities to be OK.perience of Marinas thoughand well organised when it comes to asking for money,don't have any experience of marinas though,as they seem to be expensive.
Definitely go there ..the sailing is excellent and it's a beautiful place with friendly folk.

chrisrog

Visit site
Don't forget that you will be leaving the EU and "importing" your boat into another country,so you need a visa,(obtainable locally) and will need to visit the customs,health and passport offices.

Do you do this in Greece or Turkey ?

Appleyard

Visit site
Don't forget that you will be leaving the EU and "importing" your boat into another country,so you need a visa,(obtainable locally) and will need to visit the customs,health and passport offices.

Do you do this in Greece or Turkey ?

You have to "check out" of Greece and then check into Turkey.
Reasonably simple procedure in both cases.

rivonia

Visit site
Please dont take this the wrong way.. BUT no has mentioned "Holding Tanks" and blue cards. there appears to be a dark side as well to TURKEY. As I said I am not trying to upset the apple cart. But is only fair to mention ALL the negatives as well as posotives to give a balanced view.

Fair winds

chrisrog

Visit site
Please dont take this the wrong way.. BUT no has mentioned "Holding Tanks" and blue cards. there appears to be a dark side as well to TURKEY. As I said I am not trying to upset the apple cart. But is only fair to mention ALL the negatives as well as posotives to give a balanced view.

Fair winds

So as we have no holding tank, Turkey is a definate 'NO'?

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
You'll see a balanced take on Cruising in Turkey on The Cruising Association (CA) web site. Go to www.cruising.co.uk/ and click the the "Cruise Info" tab. After that, drill down through the left hand menus: Cruise Areas>>Mediterranean>>Turkey. Of course, details about each region within Turkey are member only, as are details about rules and regulations, visas, blue cards and all that stuff. But the top page gives the broad picture.

As for holding tanks, they are not legally required. But you are not allowed to discharge sewage. So either you need a holding tank, a big cork, regular doses of loperimide, or a toilet within a short walking distance.

The same advice applies applies throughout the Mediterranean or Baltic, and some day, holding tanks will become compulsory in these non-tidal waters.

All these matters were well covered in the Cruising Association seminars held recently. A lot of the non-members who attended decided to join after having a peek at what advice was available. Good news for the Association. More members=more research=more and better info . . .