Unlucky or the new norm

sfellows

Visit site
Having spent most of our sailing (sic) holiday last week stuck in Yarmouth (there are worse places :) ), as every day there were strong winds (20+ knots) which got even stronger Thursday and Friday (30+ knots), then escaping to the Beaulieu River Saturday, deciding to go to Chichester Hbr Sunday, hitting 26+knots in the Solent and finally bailing out and returning to Gosport on Sunday, were we just unlucky or is it really getting windier? I think this season has been particularly windy.

Very disappointing as last year we got to the Scilly Isles...

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
Unlucky I'd say. We had seven weeks on the boat in June and July with about three days lost to gales and another three or four lost to rain.

PhillM

Visit site
I’ve always found late August windy in the Solent. Tbh I think the season is May-to mid August and then it’s very hit and miss. I cannot comment on September because I’m back at work and try to ignore how nice or not the weather is for sailing!

doug748

Visit site
I believe this year has been unsettled and cold throughout with the odd burst of no wind at all. N S E and West winds have been chill, it has rained a good deal.
To be more objective; as far south as Belle Isle I slept with in a sleeping bag + blanket in June, July and the early part of August. It contrast is often too hot to be comfortable at night in those parts in high summer. There were also moderate gales accompanied by immoderate rain.

In short it is very much like the summers I recall in the 1990's. My impression is that we had a very good run from the millennium right till last year which was grim. So it goes, I hope we are not in for another 10 years of rotten sailing weather.

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com
On the plus side…..there’s generally been plenty of breeze about. For fast passage making. If a little too much at times. This is the first year that I can remember Stargazer’s (new, when we left Chatham, in April) ensign in tatters, on its trailing edge, by (almost) September. And still 200 nm to go, before we are home.

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
As someone said I remember this summer as one from 30 or more years ago when it seemed normal to go on holiday in "summer" and have nothing but wind and rain. I remember (no boat then) tent and caravan holidays in atrocious weather, and throwing the tent in the back of the car and driving home late at night in disgust.

We had a week away in the boat in July and 2 nights in June but since then have been struggling to get a decent day for a day sail, let alone going anywhere for a night.

E39mad

Visit site
It was fine a month ago...managed to get from Thornham to Newtown Creek via a night on an Itchenor mooring then onto Yarmouth, Southampton and Gosport in a old 26' Westerly. No days holed up. Maybe we just got lucky.

Having stated that there have been two occasions in previous years where we haven't been able to get out of Chi Harbour due to strong winds (25 + knots). Both of those were in August.

Last edited:

lustyd

Visit site
I’ve always found late August windy in the Solent. Tbh I think the season is May-to mid August and then it’s very hit and miss. I cannot comment on September because I’m back at work and try to ignore how nice or not the weather is for sailing!
In the Solent the season is January to March with a couple of weeks in June and a week in July 😂

st599

Visit site
You get some fantastic Solent sailing late October to December. Plus at least in the Solent and Southampton water, there's always a sheltered sail in one direction.

ctva

Visit site
I feel your pain. The northern isles and west coast of Scotland have had great weather for going north…

Getting south, well, that was a challenge.

Summer still has time to appear…

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com
Gorgeous today - sailed off the mooring at Studland and all the way to the entrance of Newtown Creek
Wasn't it just? The perfect summer sail. Much like yours. Hoisted off Poole Quay, this morning. Dropped sail, in the Hamble, this afternoon. Sat on cloud nine between times.

reducedfilesizeP1000200(1).JPG

FairweatherDave

Visit site
Last year last week of July and first two weeks of August we felt we battled all the way to Cornwall and battled back. 6 static days holed up, 6 nights in marinas.
This year same time period much easier conditions, and wanted more wind several times (the Met office gusts didn't show). One day lost, and 2 nights in the Cove, Weymouth. Feels a better year, but really mainly depends on which time period you select.

Mark-1

Visit site
Another vote for unusually windy from me. ....and the '23/'24 winter.

I'd be interested in seeing if facts back up my perception.

lustyd

Visit site
I think I first sailed in the Solent as a kid in about 1971 or 2. People moaned about the weather then...... :)
People will always moan about the weather. That doesn't have any bearing on whether the weather is generally worse than it was though. The data suggest that it is worse, and getting worser and will continue to do so as climate change progresses.
This probably means that moaning will increase too, so perhaps we need a weather and climate forum to sweep the threads into so they don't bother people so much