underwater cameras

DAKA

Visit site
I know these have been talked about previously but now they range from £20-£40 they are more attractive but do they serve any useful purpose on board ?
has anyone used one successfully ?
Saved a lift out because the anodes are good
saved a lift out because antifoul is good
saved a lift out as the lobster pot came off cleanly
etc

or are they just another bit of clutter to store ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2M-USB-Snake-...omputerComponents_Webcams&hash=item3f0695ce98

Some are waterproof, on 2-15 m cables, tape to the end of a boot hook to see underwater gear ?

neale

Visit site
I have one of the cheap Maplin Black and White jobbies. It is actually very useful to me on cruising club duties as we have lots of boats, so more often than not there is something below the waterline that needs looking at on one of them. It has saved me getting in the water a number of times.

For an individual it will probably be clutter for 99.99% of the time, but the one time you need it you'll be glad you had it when the only alternative is a lift or a dunking.

Useful for checking anodes, and for evidence of any prop fouling when you think you might have a vibration, or when you know you had a wrap but think you have shaken it off, or when you have had a slight grounding and want to check condition of props etc etc

asteven221

Visit site
Got the Maplin one which is B & W. It's handy for all the obvious reasons and I am glad I got it. It's kept on board, available for when the time comes when you need to see below the stern gear.

From Kipper's comments, I wish I got the colour version as the B & W is quite difficult to use in bright daylight. Imagine watching a programme on a B & W crt telly outside and you will get the ahem....picture.