underwater camera - advice pls

sarabande

Visit site
Having spent a happy couple of hours yesterday in the dinghy trying in vain to release a prop jammed by some errant line and blue poly stuff, my thoughts are turning to one of the underwater cameras from Aldi/Lidli which appear from time to time.

As a key useful tool away from civilised diving support, are they worth it pls ? And recommend me one, too, that works without needing a degree in electronics :).

Bav34

Visit site
A couple of problems with an underwater camera are that you can't necessarily guarantee where you have placed it under the boat, then you have to take the waterproof cover off to view what you may or may not have recorded. Then try again.

I have an endoscope which plugs directly into my computer via USB.

The feed is live so you can always place the head correctly, see:

Mine looks like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KV66...m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=5MFWCJGQPS0RA6X1WQER

but cost about £17 so either the price has come down or the quality isn't so good.

Murv

Visit site
I've got an SJcam, it's a Gopro clone type thingy.
They are so highly rated that you have to be careful when buying that you don't get an SJ clone!
Waterproof case, and streams images through wifi to an app on your phone or tablet.
Very easy to set up and use!

jamie N

Visit site
WIFI doesn't at all. As a professional ROV pilot, I must state that these camera's are the work of the devil, and take food out of (my) peoples mouth, and furthermore,,,,,[insert Luddite rant as appropriate here:]:)

geem

Visit site
Having spent a happy couple of hours yesterday in the dinghy trying in vain to release a prop jammed by some errant line and blue poly stuff, my thoughts are turning to one of the underwater cameras from Aldi/Lidli which appear from time to time.
You could always take the opportunity to buy yourself a great boat camera. We have an Olympust Tough.waterproof to 50ft. Does video and photos underwater. Download to laptop/iPad etc via wifi. We have had some fantastic result with this camera to the point where we don't use the GoPro anymore as this is so much more convenient.

As a key useful tool away from civilised diving support, are they worth it pls ? And recommend me one, too, that works without needing a degree in electronics :).

Even Chance

Visit site
I use my Yi Action Camera (like a gopro but better and cheaper) in its waterproof case on a cheap selfie stick to check the bottom of the hull. The wifi signal for the live video feed works to my phone until its about a meter underwater. (The signal might have been propogating up the metal selfie stick)
I also have an Endoscope like was mentioned and they work fine too. Im currently building myself a small ROV to go with my collection of UAV's. ;-)

Last edited:

johnalison

Visit site
I have a very basic Sanyo camcorder that I was given. It has saved me a lot of worry a couple of times by showing that my prop was fouled and that a day drying out was worthwhile. Although I can see the benefit of a live feed, I have managed by dangling the camera with a bit of cord alongside where I knew the prop was and slowly panning it around at various depths. My films won't win any Oscars but do the job. It is quite fun having a video camera clipped to the pushpit while you are sailing too.

thesaintlyone

Visit site
Purchased a EKen H3R very pleased with it reviews put it on par with the Go Pros, screen on the back allows instant viewing of what youve recorded

Tammany

Visit site
Fujifilm XP80 or XP90. Great little cameras. Looks like a normal pocket camera but it 100% waterproof. Also has screen & optical zoom. It's a perfect boat camera. I have a gopro 2 as well but no good for what you want really as you can't guarentee you've filmed what you want due to no screen.

dunedin

Visit site
A couple of problems with an underwater camera are that you can't necessarily guarantee where you have placed it under the boat, then you have to take the waterproof cover off to view what you may or may not have recorded. Then try again.

I have an endoscope which plugs directly into my computer via USB.

The feed is live so you can always place the head correctly, see:

Mine looks like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KV66...m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=5MFWCJGQPS0RA6X1WQER

but cost about £17 so either the price has come down or the quality isn't so good.

+1. Used ours recently and saved an expensive lift. Being able to see real time and record is really useful.
And all for under twenty quid.
(NB. Use boat hook plus short piece of wood plus gaffer tape to position it in real boat)

Visit site

If you are anywhere near the SW of England I'd gladly don my drysuit etc if you want.
Russ

Heckler

Visit site

My BIL gave us a first gen Go pro. Excellent on a long self stick. However, on my previous Bene the line that I got wrapped around the prop, I got it off by unwinding etc but it pushed the rubber cutlass bearing up the stern tube. I had to lift her to replace it.
Stu