under matress

moodycruiser

www.pctony.co.uk
Despite the mikuni going 13 to the dozen together with a dehumidifier we are finding that the underside of our matress in our cabin is becoming damp (no, we're not incontinent !). I believe there is some sort of 'under matress', perhaps something open celled to allow air flow, that we could get - does anyone have any information on this please ?

<hr width=100% size=1>Tony

moodycruiser

www.pctony.co.uk
Absolutely perfect, thanks v. much, that's exactly what I'm after.
(I didn't realise we HAD a problem until I woke up and the dog was paddling past the bunk !! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif )

<hr width=100% size=1>Tony

paul123

Visit site
We have installed airflow springs and found them to be superb,not only do they solve the damp problem they add comfort.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Marsupial

Visit site
We had this problem some years ago. CURED it by buying a "coconut" mat type of under mattress from Blue Marine in Dunkirk,costs about £30.00 for a double bunk, there is now a synthetic matting on the market that does the same thing - its cheaper solution than raised slats or ventilated mattresses. .

<hr width=100% size=1>

Abigail

www.sailblogs.com
There are three choices I know of:

airflow springs. not tried them, look good, expensive. How easy to have a section you can lift out for access to lockers under the bunks? Would help to support mattress in ways that will help your back.

Coir matting - recommended by someone else. We tried this and found it didn't work very well (maybe we sweat too much :)) as it retained too much moisture. Can be cut up so that you have a lift out section.

Ventair - synthetic solution of plastic in a fabric. We use this as the driest, and the nicest to kneel on if you have the mattress up at any time. Again can be cut out for lockers.

Naturalmat and others sell the coir version. If you search Ventair on line you'll find suppliers.

HTH

Sarah

<hr width=100% size=1>Sarah & Pip

www.greatlittleboats.com
UK & Ireland distributors of Swifgig

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
It is also possible just to drill a lot of large holes in the base of the bunk...... works fine.

<hr width=100% size=1>If you have time please visit my web site -
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.michaelbriant.com/sailing>http://www.michaelbriant.com/sailing</A>