Ultimate Sailing Adventures

Gargleblaster

Visit site
I have just read Miles Kendall's 'Ultimate Sailing Adventures' published by John Wiley & Sons, 2009. The Jester Challenge gets a whole two pages to itself, with a good picture of Jester plaining before a following wind under full sail with a horrible forward rake to the mast.
The final paragraph reads:
"The Jester Challenge allows like-minded skippers to race across an ocean in the humblest of craft with no safety net. Only the truly adventurous need apply."
Of course I'm not sure I agree with the 'like-minded' comment. And only a few of the more intrepid sail in the 'humblest of craft'. Some of us don't have bilge keels.
It is really good to see that we make it in a book like this which in its subtitle mentions: '100 Extraordinary Experiences on the Water'. I don't think they are in any particular order, but if they are we are No. 29.

jesterchallenger

Visit site
Yes, I saw that the other day as well. I was going to buy it as a souvenir but decided to spend the 20 quid on the boat! 'Only the truly adventurous need apply'....I've never really thought that I was truly adventurous, but I have enjoyed sailing off into the big blue yonder, with no one else to blame but myself, on more than the odd occasion and it feels good! I think it's actually quite addictive, but I won't go into that or someone will want to start counselling me.....

Noddy

Visit site
I think it's actually quite addictive, but I won't go into that or someone will want to start counselling me.....
Aha! A cry for help!

How long have you had these urges to sail alone?

Why don't you like other people?

What do you talk about with the dolphins?

Why the obsession with Fray Bentos Pies and Sextants?

Is it the getting there, or the journey?

What is your self steering gear called?

Do you feel better now?

;-) Paul

jesterchallenger

Visit site
Aha! A cry for help!

I rest my case.

Oh, she's called Conchita. Every Vaquero needs a Conchita.
Competent Offshore Navigation Contraption Helming Indefatigably To America.

On the journey home, delete America and insert Azores.

Gargleblaster

Visit site
I rest my case.

Oh, she's called Conchita. Every Vaquero needs a Conchita.
Competent Offshore Navigation Contraption Helming Indefatigably To America.

On the journey home, delete America and insert Azores.
My self steering is called 'Miss Piggy'. I might use the journey to Newport in trying to work out what that could be an acronym for.

Haven't got an 'n' and I do like your navigation, but I do have two 's' for self steering. A 'w' would have been nice to get the word wind in. Maybe I'll have to rename her - does that require a proper ceremony?

Noddy

Visit site
I had an electric system. Every morning I would look at it and say "Thankyou." So I guess thats its/his/her name.

Duncan: Whats with the Spanish connections?

P

jesterchallenger

Visit site
Whats with the Spanish connections?

Previous Rustler owners tried to name their boats with something representative of horse stealing - so I suppose either someone else had a boat called Cowboy or the first owner thought Vaquero sounded better. I don't want to change it and provoke superstition, so I thought a female self steerer would be appropriate, and Spanish to match the boat name. Besides, the mnemonic is easier than for Miss Piggy!

And talking of Miss Piggy, I noticed John got his photograph in PBO this month......page 8. Miss Piggy would have been page 3, I suppose.