UKHO and the University of Carolina

G

I've just noticed that the University of Carolina (http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/sitesel.html) has been prevented from providing free UK tidal information by the UK Hydrographic Office.

Perhaps the Americans should stop the UKHO from using GPS in their surveying. Something that the American tax payer has spent billions on and yet allow the use of free of charge around the world.

Since they evidently don't have the expertise to provide tidal information on their owen web site (it took them years to put the notices to mariners on there) I think their attitude is a little short sited don't you?

Rob.

G

The UKHO is very backward in all its business.... Look how long it took to provide cruising chart folios....

G

Equally, ....

I've got the missing bit for WxTide32 that will make WxTide32 work for European waters. If anyone is missing it then perhaps ... ... A quick email to me might just produce a set of harmonics to complete the set.

Nige (Ch)

PS : This post is not posted.

G

Yes ... it is an outrageous decision ...

... it would be wholely in order for the US to threaten to retaliate in the same mean-minded spirit.

G

Talking of which.....

..before you fellers switch off the GPS, if anyone out there has the UK module for 'Tide Tool' Palm handheld software (recently disappeared due to impending litigation I understand)....

I have a space in my computer that would keep it safe, and I promise not to use it because it's copyright and I wouldn't do that sort of thing.

'Onest govnor.

G

Re: Equally, ....

I hope that somebody is not already suggesting supplying software without a licence on this forum.

Piracy!

I suspect that may have been one of the problems which caused the shutdown which, thank goodness, has just ended.