UK to Greece and back breakdown cover.

DaiB

Visit site
Hi, we will be doing the normal run with the car down to Greece, using the boat for about five months and then driving back.
We have a new(to us) car that we haven't used on a long run, its eight years old, So was thinking about getting some breakdown insurance but seems that its limited to max 90 days per trip and then really expensive.
Could do a single trip cover for the outbound journey at a reasonable price but what to do about the return months later?
Anyone any solutions or is it just cross fingers as we have done for the last several years and forget about breakdown insurance!

Thanks for any advice given.

Thedreamoneday

Visit site
I contacted a company called Stuart Collins, they are one of my he few companies that will cover you (car insurance) for the full 12 months, most companies will only cover you for around 90 days. They will also give you 12 months breakdown cover as again most companies only cover for 90 days ish.

I was quoted circa £600 for 12months fully comp and circa £180 for 12 months breakdown cover.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Your UK insurance covers you automatically in all EU countries to the minimum required. So, you can keep your car out of UK for as long as you like but, and it's an important but, it'll only be covered to the minimum level in the country you're in. In most cases that'll be third party only. To take your fully comprehensive cover you'll need to extend the cover with your insurer and some companies limit how long you can stay overseas.

As to breakdown cover, perhaps you could have a couple of weeks for the trip out and a couple of weeks for the trip back?

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Possible buy on line, just before you go and cancel when you arrive at destination ,they will charge you for the time covered inside 14 days ,same again on the way back .Best check with someone more knowledgeable though.

DaiB

Visit site
Thanks for the feedback.
Used Stuart Collins Insurance, 12mths EU plus a few other countries £185.

charles_reed

Visit site
One gets it as part of the package when you have the Nationwide Flex Plus account.
That also gives you no-charge withdrawal of €, but does cost £10/month. I'd suggest you have a look at that. You also have 90-day travel insurance - all durations can be extended for a fee.

[3889]

Visit site
Thanks for the feedback.
Used Stuart Collins Insurance, 12mths EU plus a few other countries £185.

Was that breakdown or car insurance? I was quite keen on this company but their car premium is triple my current renewal. Can you get the breakdown as a stand alone product?

Bitterend

Visit site
I had an annual European breakdown policy with the AA, I called them when in Greece and within 40 mins I was mobile again. But maybe its different now!