type of liferaft

G

Can anyone advise on the pro's and con's of canister vs valise packaging for a liferaft? Is a valise sufficiently robust/weatherproof for stowage on deck? Also any recommendations of particular make(s) would be welcome. We are looking for a 4-man offshore model.

andrewhopkins

Visit site
pro\'s and cons

The only ones i know are that the cannister is definately more robust and easier to secure to the deck. The valise can usually fit easier into your lockers (although i fit my cannister in there).

I've never seen anyone with a valise strapped to the deck but in theory you could.

Generally, the consensus is that the best solution is a cannister attached with hydrostatic catches so when the boat sinks, it releases the liferaft.

G

My only claim to fame on experience here is I own a raft - cannister type. I understand that the canister style is for stowing on deck (with hydrostatic release as Andrew points out) and the valise style is for stowing below deck.
I'm just reading Fatal Storm (about the 1998 Sydney Hobart) and would suggest you look at inflated rafts, and determine how many you would fit into one - mine's a 6 man RFD in Aus Coastal survey, but inflated it looks like 4 would be a squeeze!