two questions

G

Can anybody help with two enquiries :-

1. I've read that a chemical called 'OXALIC' is really good at cleaning GRP (white). Is it good? Is it safe for the plastic? Where can I get it? (Local chemists are not helpful)

2. I need to 're-do' the anti-chaff wrapping on my spreaders but I can't work out how to get out to them. (up is O.K. but how to get out?)

G

Oxalic acid is contained in proprietry cleaners 'Owatrol' or similar products which should be available from Chandlers, Halfords or car repairers

to replace anti Chaff on spreader use a bosun's chair, with an extra line on a snatch block as a running block on the shrouds, hoisted aloft by a halyard you follow the shroud up to the spreader. if more than one set of spreaders use a second line and snatch block to change to the next level of shroud run.

Visit site
Owatrol

I think that you may be confusing this productOwatrol is a wetting agent that gives a re-furbished look to soft plastics like polythene. If you have a faded Topper dinghy deck for example Owatrol will bring back the original red for a few months.
"Oxalic" refers to Oxalic acid or phosphoric acid which is the active ingredient in products like Y10 cleaning gel - sold in chandlers for the removal of rust stains from gelcoat or stainless fittings - which look like new after it's use. You can buy oxalic acid powder at a fraction of the cost from agricultural pharmacists and mix it with water as it is used to re-vitalise wooden components, being especially good on garden furniture! However it is much more effective in the gel form as it stays on the job longer. Incidentally it needs a decent temperature to work. At less than 60F it stops working but is very quick on hot summer days. A cheaper source than Y10 is available from motor accessory outlets as "Rust Cure".

As to the "anti-chafe" Is this tape? If so why not replace it with the little white wheels. They are easy to fit and I have found them completely effective and durable on the last two boats over the last 14 years, each boat only needing one set(but I fitted two each side, the lower one being supported by shroud protector sleeving. As to getting out to the ends of the spreaders; how big are they? On any boat under say 38ft you should have no problem, once aloft in the Bosun's Chair, in swinging out sufficiently to do the job

G

Hi,

The first is, I think, Oxalic Acid. ( COOH )2. 2H2O. It comes as a white powder and you can then carefully make up your own dilution or you can possibly even buy a ready made solution. I can't remember all my chemistry but is there a secondary school near you?

As to moving out from the mast - you could always fix your spinaker boom across the boat and attach a halyard to the outboard end. Attach a shackle to your bosuns chair and clip this over the halyard. Do I need to go on....???

Regards

Fred

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
Answer to question 1.

While in the MN, I bought some Australian Gel-coat cleaner made by K&H Industries, Sydney. The main ingredient is hydrochloric acid at 18%. A similar cleaner with only 10% hydrochloric acid is Patio Cleaner from B&Q and such places and comes in 5ltr cans.

I ran out of K&H cleaner and used the patio cleaner on my Konsort last winter, and it got all the winter grime and last years discolouration off quite quickly. Wash down with fresh water and them apply polish.

It also takes off rust stains.

Q2 - I leave to others.

regards,
Philip

chas

Visit site
I bought some oxalic acid from a chemist last year - cost (from memory) about £10 per kilo. It worked very well. A solution did most of the boat and for the really stained bits, I made up a paste with some flour.

G

Cruisermart sell a product in jelly form Y10 I think its called which is a strong oxalic acid based,

Your problem re going up to the spreaders is a easy one.
make yourself a rope ladder the required height with two sprigs at the head and midway hoist the head up with the main halyard with secondary spinnaker halyard as support then lash the bottom of the rope ladder to make taught and you have yourself a set of ratlines.

G

There is a product I use which is really good,it's called Ribshine. It removes all stains,grease,oil and algae from GRP very easy to use and totally biodegradeable. 5 Ltrs will last a long time!
Contact L & J chemicals, Weymouth 01305 760707