Two Questions for the Price of One Please. Engine Belt and Jubilee Clip Content

jaminb

Visit site
Question 1
Can you over tighten the alternator / water pump belt? There was evidence of slippage and it felt a bit loose so I have tightened up. I can still twist the belt through 45 degree is this acceptable? I had recently (15hrs ago) tightened, the belt looks fine with plenty of depth on the grooves but is the recent stretching a sign of on its last legs or could it be water pump / alternator related? I carry a couple of spares.

Question 2
Do jubilee clips and the superior fuel line clips shake loose? My domestic water pump was drawing air in past a lose jubilee clip. I was amazed as normally the hoses weld themselves to the spigots to the extent it is very difficult to remove them without damage. Today I treated my boat to a new diesel filter (first one by the tank not sure if this is the primary or secondary) and noticed weeping from the hose / spigot, the fuel pipe clip and secondary jubilee clip were lose. This was a relatively new hose so I suppose it could have compressed since install but the drinking water pipe I know has been undisturbed for 5 years.

thanks

GEM43

Visit site
Yes you can certainly over tension a belt, it induces excess load on the water pump and alternator spindle bearings. Your 45degree test sounds okay though, I wouldn’t fret about that too much. A bigger issue is why are you seeing belt slip/stretch? Do you have a single vee belt on a high capacity alternator? That is the death knell for single vee belts. Is there evidence of excessive belt dusting around the alternator ventilation holes? If so that’s a sure sign of belt slip.

I’ve not noticed properly sized jubilee clips allowing pipe to spigot failure. But if a large clip has been used on a small pipe that’s a recipe for imminent failure. Double clip fittings below the waterline.

jaminb

Visit site
Thanks Gem there was lots of rubber dust hence why I re tightened. Alternator is standard one that came with the yanmar, driven by a toothed v belt.

I must have a phantom jubilee clip undo er on board!

GEM43

Visit site
Thanks Gem there was lots of rubber dust hence why I re tightened. Alternator is standard one that came with the yanmar, driven by a toothed v belt.

I must have a phantom jubilee clip undo er on board!
Interesting. If there’s lots of dust the belt is slipping either due to overload or knackered belt or poorly tensioned. If it goes loose again I’d try a new belt. Make sure there is no corrosion on the faces of the pulleys that the sides of the belt runs on. The belt shouldn’t “bottom out” in the vee, the sides of the belt should contact with the sides of the pulley only.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Do consider that there are different size of vee belt profiles both in width and depth.

You con easy go up vee belt depth say from Z to SPZ or if the pully is wide enough from Z to A or to SPA bi width and depth

vee belt sizes - Bing

I now use twin ear crimp clips on all my fuel lines to get a better airtight connection

OIP.vnm7BiZ3i5AOwI4oTucu4wHaHa

PetiteFleur

Visit site
Try using CRE - Cogged Raw Edge Belts which transmit more horse power than the standard Vee Belt. I use JCS Hi-Grip Stainless hose grips which are good quality.

Porthandbuoy

www.backbearing.com
+1 for the twin ear hose clips.

I swapped the standard V- belt on my alternator for a Gates cogged belt. Haven't had to adjust it this season. Regards tension, I can take the longest pulley-to-pulley section and twist it through 90°.

Neeves

Visit site
Question 1
Can you over tighten the alternator / water pump belt? There was evidence of slippage and it felt a bit loose so I have tightened up. I can still twist the belt through 45 degree is this acceptable? I had recently (15hrs ago) tightened, the belt looks fine with plenty of depth on the grooves but is the recent stretching a sign of on its last legs or could it be water pump / alternator related? I carry a couple of spares.

Question 2
Do jubilee clips and the superior fuel line clips shake loose? My domestic water pump was drawing air in past a lose jubilee clip. I was amazed as normally the hoses weld themselves to the spigots to the extent it is very difficult to remove them without damage. Today I treated my boat to a new diesel filter (first one by the tank not sure if this is the primary or secondary) and noticed weeping from the hose / spigot, the fuel pipe clip and secondary jubilee clip were lose. This was a relatively new hose so I suppose it could have compressed since install but the drinking water pipe I know has been undisturbed for 5 years.

thanks
You may post as many threads, questions as you like?

I might suggest as the 2 questions are unrelated you might be better with 2 threads - others may differ.

But you appear to have engendered the correct answers - maybe it does not matter.

Pictures are still worth a thousand words, or more :) and we all carry a camera now :)

Jonathan

Metalicmike

Visit site
Regarding Jubilee clips, don't buy cheap and always use the right size clip to suite the outer diameter of the hose. If you use cheap or oversized clips you will not get a reliable connection.