Two feared drowned in Brighton Marina...

dom

Visit site
Oh my goodness, and the good Samaritan appears to have perished too.

How utterly tragic.

Seajet

Visit site
About 20 years ago I learned 13 people had died at a local marina - it's quite an upmarket place but liveaboards ( which I happen to approve of, also great for security ) were not unknown - most of the casualties were at night, alcohol was often involved.

In this case if the person jumped in with a lifering at this time of year they deserve utmost congratulations, possibly a gong even if the ending wasn't so good.

pvb

Visit site
In this case if the person jumped in with a lifering at this time of year they deserve utmost congratulations, possibly a gong even if the ending wasn't so good.

Alcohol may have been involved, but it doesn't sound like boaty people involved. The BBC reported "HM Coastguard said a man was reported to have left a home nearby and entered the water at 00:30 GMT. A friend followed him into the water but got out, the coastguard confirmed."

The search area wasn't in the main marina, but in the private moorings round the back, which are surrounded by houses.

Resolution

Visit site
The search area wasn't in the main marina, but in the private moorings round the back, which are surrounded by houses.

From the original report:
It was feared that the victims could have been washed out from the Brighton Marina as a result of tidal currents.]

I thought the back bit was served by a lock, so in theory tide free.:confused:

pvb

Visit site
From the original report:
It was feared that the victims could have been washed out from the Brighton Marina as a result of tidal currents.]

I thought the back bit was served by a lock, so in theory tide free.:confused:

The original report was obviously wrong.

Seajet

Visit site
I didn't think there even was a ' back bit ' now, sadly built over.

A great marina originally though don't even think about approaching in a big southerly gale, as a Contessa 32 sadly found ( don't remember if there were human fatalities but the boat was due to reflected waves ) - now like the rest of Brighton could do with a kick up the arse and a coat of paint.

johnalison

Visit site
A great marina originally though don't even think about approaching in a big southerly gale, as a Contessa 32 sadly found ( don't remember if there were human fatalities but the boat was due to reflected waves ) - now like the rest of Brighton could do with a kick up the arse and a coat of paint.
The first time I ever went there was at 2 am with a rising southerly F6. It wasn't at all bad, but I have had worse conditions with the wind from W-SW, so it is perhaps quite variable.

TheEcho

Visit site
Yes, the inner harbour where the fatality occurred is behind a lock and there are regular marina berths there as well as private moorings associated with the surrounding houses. We are berthed there at the moment as it is nice and deep whereas the silting in the outer harbour left only about 50cm of water in places at LAT a few days ago.

phanakapan

Visit site
The daily mail online report was a complete load of rubbish. What a surprise.
Facts: 2 acquaintances went into water in the inner harbour at around 0030. They were from the flats. One pulled out alive by land based security very shortly afterwards. Police, ambulances, fire brigade, coast guard, helicopter all attended. Brighton Marina’s workboat was locked in and was used in the search; followed by the RNLI rib. No chance of anyone being ‘swept out to sea’. Intensive 3 1/2 - 4 hour search that night. No boat movements or lock in/outs permitted later in the morning for police divers to continue the search. The inner harbour is contained by a lock. It maintains a water level of at least 2.5m and in many places is much more. The water isn’t quite as saline as the sea. Facts. I was there.

Last edited: