Twister, an ideal Jester Challenge boat?

Wunja

Visit site
Need some clues here....

I found the Twister Class Association website, but most of the interesting stuff seems to be locked down to members only.

frauboot

Visit site
Does anyone know of a Fibreglass long keel boat with a keel stepped mast under 30 feet?.

I've had trouble with my deck stepped mast with cracking in the deck and thought a keel stepped mast might be more suited to Jester events.

If no long keels exist with keel stepped mast are there any longer fin keel boats with a keel stepped mast?

FullCircle

Visit site
Does anyone know of a Fibreglass long keel boat with a keel stepped mast under 30 feet?.

I've had trouble with my deck stepped mast with cracking in the deck and thought a keel stepped mast might be more suited to Jester events.

If no long keels exist with keel stepped mast are there any longer fin keel boats with a keel stepped mast?

Cant you fit a Kingpost?

LewB

Visit site
Frauboot,

Albin Ballad is just under 30ft, fin keel with a keel stepped mast, I think there was one in the last Jester challenge - Sixpence I believe.

Lew

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site

you need to buy a Twister with a very reinforced mast step, beams and uprights to the keel.
Betty Dee ?

www.sailingscotty.com

Last edited:

Poignard

Visit site
And knowing the boat I can confirm that Betty Dee seems a very well sorted Twister.

Knowing the boat, and the owner, I don't doubt it for a moment but I am concerned that potential Twister buyers do not get the impression that there is an inherent mast support problem with the Twisters as a whole. Especially as I may one day want to sell mine!

My Twister (built in 1967 by Uphams Ltd) has strong deck beams together with 4 hefty vertical hardwood pillars, marine ply bulkheads and knees supporting the mast. All as specified in the designer's drawings (Holman & Pye). After 44 years use there is no sign of any of this needing to be "sorted".

The quality of the workmanship in the Uphams-built Twisters was reflected in their high price when new, compared with contemporary boats of similar size.

Scotty_Tradewind

Visit site
Knowing the boat, and the owner, I don't doubt it for a moment but I am concerned that potential Twister buyers do not get the impression that there is an inherent mast support problem with the Twisters as a whole. Especially as I may one day want to sell mine!

My Twister (built in 1967 by Uphams Ltd) has strong deck beams together with 4 hefty vertical hardwood pillars, marine ply bulkheads and knees supporting the mast. All as specified in the designer's drawings (Holman & Pye). After 44 years use there is no sign of any of this needing to be "sorted".

The quality of the workmanship in the Uphams-built Twisters was reflected in their high price when new, compared with contemporary boats of similar size.

Agreed, if is was built by Uphams there should definatly be no concern.

www.sailingscotty.com

Last edited:

Scotty_Tradewind

Visit site
I can hardly believe my eyes when I see some Twisters advertised at well below £15K and one has new engine and a windvane.
http://www.twister.org.uk/sales/index.php
Since selling my Twister and deep inside wanting to have done a Jester-Azores, I'm now looking at the Azab in my present boat, possibly also serving as a father/son bonding (or breaking ) experience. :)

Lee_Shaw

Visit site
I can hardly believe my eyes when I see some Twisters advertised at well below £15K and one has new engine and a windvane.
http://www.twister.org.uk/sales/index.php
Since selling my Twister and deep inside wanting to have done a Jester-Azores, I'm now looking at the Azab in my present boat, possibly also serving as a father/son bonding (or breaking ) experience. :)

At 20+ thousand the Halmatic 30 starts to become available. And at 10,000 the halcyon 27/contessas/loads of 27ish folkboats etc are available well equipped.

It's not immedialtey apparent, to me anyhows, exactly why any Twister (no matter how well equipped) is worth more than 15,000, that said, it's probably for the exact same reason that a ratted out Contessa 32 goes for about the same price as a decent (but far rarer/miles better) Barbican 30.

Last edited:

Scotty_Tradewind

Visit site
At 20+ thousand the Halmatic 30 starts to become available. And at 10,000 the halcyon 27/contessas/loads of 27ish folkboats etc are available well equipped.

It's not immedialtey apparent, to me anyhows, exactly why any Twister (no matter how well equipped) is worth more than 15,000, that said, it's probably for the exact same reason that a ratted out Contessa 32 goes for about the same price as a decent (but far rarer/miles better) Barbican 30.

There were several criteria involved when I bought a Twister 6 years ago.........

size of boat .........that I knew I could handle solo with excellent standing height, storage and would look after me in seriously bad conditions, easy to balance with a wind vane... she did/was!

A boat that was strong and historically with very few structural problems inherrant to the design or lay-up.

Good value ........in the sense that a steady amount of maintenance would maintain its buying/selling value..... it did.

An excellent owners association website and up to the minute help from members on all aspects. http://www.twister.org.uk/

I've never heard of a Twister having had osmosis and not heard of one that sails slowly for their size.

Barbican 30? http://www.yachtsnet.co.uk/archives/barbican-30/barbican-30.htm
Looks very good, please enlighten us more.
Seem to cost a bit more than most Twisters but a fair bit more space by the looks of things?

Last edited:

Lee_Shaw

Visit site
There were several criteria involved when I bought a Twister 6 years ago.........

size of boat .........that I knew I could handle solo with excellent standing height, storage and would look after me in seriously bad conditions, easy to balance with a wind vane... she did/was!

A boat that was strong and historically with very few structural problems inherrant to the design or lay-up.

Good value ........in the sense that a steady amount of maintenance would maintain its buying/selling value..... it did.

An excellent owners association website and up to the minute help from members on all aspects. http://www.twister.org.uk/

I've never heard of a Twister having had osmosis and not heard of one that sails slowly for their size.

Barbican 30? http://www.yachtsnet.co.uk/archives/barbican-30/barbican-30.htm
Looks very good, please enlighten us more.
Seem to cost a bit more than most Twisters but a fair bit more space by the looks of things?

Twisters are great boats, no doubt, at £15-18,000 it's hard to think of a better class, but at, and over, £20,000 other classes come into consideration for a Jester Challenger looking for a folkboat type, the Halmatic and Barbicans being two, and the Rustler 31s, which are rare in good condition.

The Barbican 30? Well it's all in the link you provided. Seriously nice boats. But rare, and cherished ones especially so, also expensive. Nice layout, which is a "twist" (pardon the pun) on a traditional layout, which makes them seem very roomy for their size and very easy to move around in a seaway, with a proper "bathroom" type heads.

They are normally loaded with creature comforts, such as yacht legs, hot and cold pressurised water, very good quality engines, shower heads, really well fitted solid teak interiors and other goodies that make their price justifiable, but such comforts are probably not on the "essentials list" of a Jester Challenger.

tomski

Visit site
What about a Nova 27? My 25footer requires too much work above and below the waterline which unfortunately will cost me too much so my mate gladly has taken ownership to work on her and I've had an opportunity to purchase a 27footer for what I think is an excellent price and she seems pretty much ready to go...(still thinking of junk rigging her :))

Other threads that may be of interest