Twin Disc gearbox help East Coast

G

It is very unusual that MIT do not have the gearbox required. Season before last I lost a Twin disc gearbox in St. Malo limped back to Jersey one one engine and contacted the locally known John Fox who arranged a service exchange unit from MIT within 24hrs.Will they not service your failed one and return it?Or as a long shot you could always call John Fox in Jersey who I am sure could point you in the right direction.What Engines are they hooked up to etc.Where are you so I can make enquires.

<hr width=100% size=1>

stefan_r

athito.home.services.spaces.live.com
It's not that they don't have the bits.... I want them to come out and have a look at it and (if possible) repair on site and while in the boat.

The gearbox I have is a MG5111 and most repairs can be done without removing the unit.

MIT are struggling to give me a date when they might be able to think about coming out and therefore I was looking at alternatives as I don't want to wait too much longer as they can give me no indication of timings.....

<hr width=100% size=1>mailto: stefan@athito.com

G

I can`t see anyone coming to to open up a twin disc gearbox and repairing it on sight having the right seals spigots etc etc highly unlikely. I would get it out and run it up to Kent myself get it repaired and collect it. if you are on the East coast your not too far away from the workshop. I presume the box has seized in gear as yhey usually do often through lack of oil.It should come away from the shaft o.k. butif you bhave rope cutters it would have to be lifted to relign them.

<hr width=100% size=1>

stefan_r

athito.home.services.spaces.live.com
Hmmmmm.....

MIT are happy to come and fix it on site - they just don't have much availability at the moment.

I would be more than happy to just take it off but we're talking about a fairly hefty unit to lift off the engine. I have no real idea of how to go about removing it to take along to them.

I don't want to have to crane the gearbox out of the boat as it's expensive and will lead to a lot more disruption all round.

It isn't seized - it is just making a grinding noise when it gets hot and turning the oil brown (burning I assume).

The gearbox has excellent access to the front of it and goes through a V Driver so nothing underwater will be disturbed when playing with it.

What I really want is someone who knows what they are doing to come along, have a look, get access to the front of the gearbox and remove whatever is making the grinding noise, put in new gears, clutch or whatever and then screw it all back up.

The workshop manual I have shows the procedure for doing all this on site but I'm not about to trust the local handyman with the Twin Disc equivalent of a Haynes manual.

Like I say MIT are more than happy to do it on site - they just don't have enough people to do it in the near future.

<hr width=100% size=1>mailto: stefan@athito.com

G

Still think your best bet is to get a local engineer to disconnect it not a big job,they are heavy but mine was lifted out by 2 people with ropes attatched especially if access is good . Take it to M.I.T. service & collect and engineer to reconnect up.No engineer is going to carry the parts for these units 90% are done on service exchange. The way I`ve mentioned will be the most hassle free way of doing it M.I.T. can turn this job round in 48hrs I`m sure.If the box is grinding then something is breaking down and will shortly break down completely if oil is going brown then it`s probabably getting so hot that it`s cooking the oil.All sounds nasty.Your normal engineer should be able to remove the unit.

<hr width=100% size=1>

mtb

Visit site
The complete box has to be stripped for cleaning, that's because there will be debris all through the system including the oil cooling side.
Also all the seals are at risk from particle's on their lip faces.
So be careful re changing a damaged bearing and running as this may well cause more problems.

Cheers
Mick

<hr width=100% size=1>smile you'l be on your boat soon ;-)
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://homepage.ntlworld.com/boats/>http://homepage.ntlworld.com/boats/</A>

G

I think your are absolutely correct Mr. mtb

<hr width=100% size=1>