Tweaker Blocks or Low Friction Rings?

Channel Sailor

Visit site
On 10mm sheets/Guys, possibly reducing to 8mm, might occasionally try 12mm. Please does anyone have good experiences (or bad) with solutions for Tweaker ends onto the Spinnaker Sheets. The Low Friction Ring option seems straight forward, very light and relatively inexpensive, but do they work OK? Other option is a block, but so far have not worked out what size and type to use that: is light enough, small enough to be light but just large enough to cope with the 10mm sheet size, is a low enough fiction (roller, ball, plain bearing?), on the leeward side will not clatter about and damage the deck/hull (like the normal 12mm plain bearing block I tried) and will cope with being rattled/bashed about on the leeward side without shattering the sheaves or knocking the bearings out within a few seasons. Also not really expensive. Currently I use bowlines, which are just about bearable for light use with care. Another thought was simply a SS plain circular ring, but what size and would be concerned it could jam or stick because of the Tweaker rope sharing the same hole. Hoping the sailors here will say the Low Friction Rings do the job perfectly well.

lw395

Visit site
LF rings work OK.
But so does a normal hard eye with a stainless thimble at a fraction of the cost.
LF rings are cheaper than they used to be, so probably the way to go.
No point saving on the ring if it wears the sheet more.

DHV90

Visit site
LFR/climbing ring/stainless ring would all be perfect. Blocks really aren't necessary, and most would be too heavy for the sheet side as well. Its more of a line deflector purpose, its not like you haul long lengths of the sheet through the ring under load, they tend to just get adjusted short distances so any smooth surface will be enough to not damage the sheet/guy.

Some people get creative with model car tyres on the outside of whatever you use to prevent it damaging the boat from flapping around, they go onto genuine LFRs quite nicely

flaming

Visit site
We've been using blocks on the Elan. Works well. But if starting again now I'm pretty sure I'd try low friction rings.

Clive

Visit site
We've been using blocks on the Elan. Works well. But if starting again now I'm pretty sure I'd try low friction rings.

Deferentially blocks, tried low friction rings, just did not work under load. If you are planning to use in 25+ knts rings have too much friction. (You could use rings for light airs and use with your light weight spinnaker sheets)

Good light weight ball bearing blocks, like Harken carbo air blocks on the tweaker line. You can use heaver ball turning blocks on the actual boat. Also use good Dynema line to prevent stretching and creep, I have 6mm on my x-302 58sqm spinnaker / 70 sqm gennaker. boat weight 4,000kg

Splice the blocks on, by peeling back the outer covering and use the core through the air block, single knot and sew together. Replace outer core and sew to make it tidy.

Channel Sailor

Visit site
So I went for the low friction rings. Simply tied them onto my tweakers with I think what is called a Jeanneau Halyard knot. Tried them yesterday for a couple of spinnaker runs in 15kts of true wind. Seemed just fine to me, so very please with choice LFR.
Btw excellent race sailing this weekend south coast yesterday and today.

flaming

Visit site
Got the new boat out for the first time this weekend to discover that one of the tweakers was missing it's block. So now running one side with a block and one side with a LFR for a comparison. Given the relative weights and costs, if the LFR does the job I imagine we'll change the other one over too.