TV's

Sirus

Visit site
TV\'s

This goes out to boaters on the thames mainly due to crap reception in the area,taking out the little ones for the first time soon and they will perish without TV so was wondering if anybody does an arial that works as the booster i've got is poo...

ChrisP

Visit site
Re: TV\'s

TV reception on the Thames is pretty bad especially in the Marlow / Henley area. Something to do with the river running along the Thames Valley. Bloody inconvienent. Try investing in the Sat dish's in this month MBM. Chap a few boats down from us got one on saturday and the result was fantastic. Trouble was he got invaded by all the lower mortals that wanted to watch the racing but could only get the picture of fog on the normal TV's.

ChrisP;o)

claymore

Visit site

Try using it as an opportunity to wean them off t.v. for an hour or two broaden the old horizons a bit and develop a wider appreciation for their immediate surroundings, perhaps develop the idea of what a treat it is and how fortunate they are to have parents who have worked hard to buy a boat, spend time with them and share so much to enrich their young lives and give them a head start in interpersonal communication and relationships. The boat has to be special - that's what gets them involved - put them in charge of something - even if its only rationing out the ships biscuits - because if they are not rationed you all might starve so its a very important job. The experience has to be worth more than bunging them in a cabin with the box on - might as well hire a child minder for the day and leave them at home.
Sorry to be banging on - subject dear to the heart!!
Regards
John S.

What care we - tho' white the Minch is,
What care we boys, for wind or weather?

rogerm

Visit site

While I agree with the sentiments of Claymore there is still the problem of what to do after they have had their couple of hours 'weaning off'....

The thing about TV aerials is that height is everything. If you have a yacht and can haul it to the top of the mast, even temparily, it will make all the difference. I have no direct experience of the Thames area but regardless there is only two aerials that I am aware of that are any good. One looks like a flying saucer and the other has lots of s/s loops positioned as a ring. Both are non-directional. They both contain pre-amplifiers and cost around £100 new but can often be picked up s/h from caravanners much more cheaply.

A dish is great if you are tied up tight 'cause if you start swinging you have lost it. Even the wash from another boat can tip you up so much you will loose it. Also of course you also need a satellite reciever to go with it. If you have mains on board then fine otherwise you will have to hunt for one of the 12v recievers...
Roger

G

If they ever complained about "the comforts of home" down below I always called the little buggers up to do something dangerous on the foredeck.

Ten minutes of desperate hanging on for dear life and their perception of what was and was not "good TV reception" changed dramatically by the time they were released back to the comfort of the cabin!!!!!!!!!

Best regards :eek:)

IanD

claymore

Visit site
Re: Mingulay Boat Song

Of course!
We are sailing tae oor hameland
As the sun sets on Mingulay

What care we - tho' white the Minch is,
What care we boys, for wind or weather?

Other threads that may be of interest