TV Aerials

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Bought a new TV aerial in Maplins yesterday and have to say that , thus far, its far and away the best I've had for reception on the boat.

At £39.99 it wasnt that expensive considering it has an aerial mounted pre-amp and a labgear signal booster in the package and the aerial itself is quite neat.
Does need a 240Volt supply for the booster.

Even Channel 5 was coming in well last night, and this morning I even found I was getting a half decent signal on some channels with the aerial INSIDE my steel cruiser!

More HERE.

More info when I have used it in a wider variety of locations.

Garryt

www.filemakerservices.com
Those aerials are great if you can point them towards the nearest transmitter, but if you move a little, you have to re-align them. This is particularly noticeable when you are receiving digital transmissions.

With an omni-directional aerial and booster, it is generally more conducive to receiving a good and consistent signal as the boat moves slightly, hence the greater cost. I use a Glomex aerial mounted on the radar arch and it has been excellent so far, but they are not cheap!

Garry

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Been there, done that and some b*st*rd even stole the "T" shirt. Had at least two possibly three of the so called 'omni' variety. None of 'em worked very well and not really that surprising as they sacrifice peak receiving capability to try and achieve the 'omni'.
Also, we have somewhat unique problems on the non tidal Thames as we are , by definition, 'down in the valley' and often surrounded by trees.

Pointing an antenna is not that difficult and well worth the litle extra effort to achieve better reception. Mine is mounted on a longish ali pole which fits int a stanchion socket and very easily twisted.

Frankly, this new antenna was purchased more in hope than expectation and I am pleasantly surprised.

Margem

Visit site
We use another maplins item, their camping saaalite kit at 79 quid.
works really well more or less anywhere with sqillions of channels.
no good at sea though but briiliant once moored up.plus 12v which is handy.