turkish Gulet

G

Hi everyone
i was on here about 2 years ago with the view to "doing it", but in the end bottled and bought a house here in cyprus. Unfortunately we hate this place and are looking to move aboard and station ourselves in the gulf of thailand. I was wondering if any of the members have had any dealings or any info ref Turkish Gullets? I have been looking at a lot and it seems to me that they are a cheap option to live aboard. i would hire a ferry crew to get the vessel to thailand if suitable. I have looked at every website i can find but, not one says wether they are ocean going!!!
I live in paphos cyprus and if there is any member berthed here in cyprus with the need for a pickup or just wheels i would be more than happy to help
regards dave kennedy

<hr width=100% size=1>

wishbone

www.reflect-designs.co.uk
Hi Dave
I have read somewhere about Gullets in general, and they are pigs to sail, and need quite a few crew, something to do with the rig.
I can remember that there was one being rebuilt in Paphos harbour. I think you will find there is also one doing day trips, they seem to motor sail everywhere, never under sail alone for some reason. No idea of their sailing capabilities. Would make a big home! Problem is they need a lot of upkeep.

regards
Wishbone

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewJ

Visit site
I was intrigued, not being familiar with the gulet. They certainly are pretty vessels with really nice lines. .
I copied this off the website, which might be of interest.
"A Gulet is a wooden vessel of traditional style, originally built to serve as
fishing and sponge-fishing vessels but later modified to accommodate
passenger groups numbering between eight and eighteen people. A gulet is
ketch or schooner rigged, although as gullets are "motor-sailers", the sails
serve more to stabilize the vessel as it travels under motor than to actually
propel the vessel."

JUst an idea, have you considered a "junk". I have seen junks handed down to the third generation as they seem to hold up very well, are really roomy and appear to sail well.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

thanks for the advise...i'm a newbie at this. did some sailing with the army many years ago and lots of dinghy sailing since.....i'm just looking for something big and comfortable to live aboard, they seemed to me to be ideal, but i will look up junks also....once i get it to the gulf of thailand it will not see an ocean again, just be pottering around that area for the rest of my natural....cheap fuel,labour, all boats out there are wood mostly, so experienced at repairs.....
its a dream ive always had the same i'm sure as all of you that are out there now...but at last the kids are grown up and we can actually pull it off, but i just dont want to end up with a donkey!!!
also has anybody any experience with hanging around thailand etc as to restricyions etc or are you pretty much left alone???

<hr width=100% size=1>

wpsalm

Visit site
Thailand is great people are freindly though mostly non english speaking they also have a tradition of wood boat building...but a wood boat in the tropics really needs a lot of work...you should go there and have a look at boats that are available locally....

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewJ

Visit site
I spent 12 years in the far east, mostly sailing in and around the Philippines. Just my opinion, but I would myself stay clear of Thai waters. The Thai's ARE a friendly people, in the tourist areas, like Bangkok, Pataya. But from what I've heard, Thai pirates are still very active. When I was in the Philippines, we would hear stories of the pirates, some even attacking large merchant ships. (I believe there is a security company that advertises that it will provide a "fast response" team to apparently "retake" a pirated merchant ship). But there is Hong Kong, Taiwan, Philippines where the "problems" SEEM to be less prevalent. This info might be dated, as this was a few years ago. (You might try to find some Thai or area newspapers on line and see if there is any reference to the problem, or perhaps a U.S. State department website with info to travelers) I don't know anything about the requirements regarding documentation of the boat, if you bring in a foreign made/flagged vessel, sorry.
regards...Andrew

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
Gulets are built down to a price, they are mainly built for the charter market and are not built to last, big lumps of cheap timber, with big lumps of iron holding them together. Loads of bunks and heads, sail like a cow in a bog, admittedly they are normally cheap secondhand, but also normally knackered. This is not all of them, but the vast majority, why not buy a wooden boat out there? Some very nice teak built boats out there.

<hr width=100% size=1>