Turbo boost hose supplier

rosssavage

Visit site
Hi folks,

A friend’s TAMD63P turbo outlet hose is leaking. Volvo will supply a new one, at £115+vat!!!

It’s all of 100mm long, with a guessed ID of 65-75mm (will remove it and measure for correct dims..)

Surely one can buy generic lengths of turbo outlet hose and cut to size? I appreciate it’s a high temp, high pressure environment, but £115+vat seems utterly Volvo for a bit of rubber hose!!

rosssavage

Visit site
Yeah, done that (Amazon too) but I’m a bit dubious of the quality... most are advertised as heater / turbo hose - this application sees the hose connected directly to the turbo boost outlet. It’s very hot there, I think it needs the right hose spec.

I’d prefer to buy from a respected supplier. Thanks though!

burgundyben

Visit site
Yeah, done that (Amazon too) but I’m a bit dubious of the quality... most are advertised as heater / turbo hose - this application sees the hose connected directly to the turbo boost outlet. It’s very hot there, I think it needs the right hose spec.

I’d prefer to buy from a respected supplier. Thanks though!

In which case pay the Volvo price for the correctly specified and quality assured part?

Or buy a cheapo silicone one from eBay.

Can't have your cake and eat it.

BruceK

Visit site
Actually I'd be interested to. I ordered my pneumatic hose from Volvo and got a wrong part. Turns out for my engines at least they dont make them anymore. I'd be interested in any quality alternatives to my existing thin walled aluminium tubing which I'm pretty sure acts like a bell megaphone. One way we used to curb exhaust noise on large engined (relatively speaking) RC aircraft was to replace the exhaust manifold with either teflon or silicon tubing. Teflon tubing here would fit the bill.

rosssavage

Visit site
In which case pay the Volvo price for the correctly specified and quality assured part?

Or buy a cheapo silicone one from eBay.

Can't have your cake and eat it.

Okaaay..... so those are the only two options in your opinion?

Volvo manufacturers there own tubing? Not bought in from somewhere?

Come on burgundyben - I’ve followed and respected some of your exploits on this forum for years, kind of expected better!

Turns out Samco (motor tuning company) do such a thing. For about 10% of the Volvo price.

Designed specifically to connect to turbo outlets.

Bandit

Visit site
Just had exactly same thing.
My 63p’s gunk upstream from the turbos so combustion gasses passing through to inlet manifold so new turbos. Injectors being changed out for new and both hoses in a poor condition and one split.
I am replacing old with new as the last ones have done 18 years and thy need changing.

All Volvo Penta parts which are freely available for this legacy engine.

If if you want to cry look at price and availability of Yanmar repair parts, they make VP look dirt cheap.

Also inspect the exhaust manifold right at the back I had one fail last season from corrosion.

rosssavage

Visit site
Hi bandit, yup, I run a pair of 61A’s in my boat, so I’m well used to VP part prices!

I’ll pay genuine VP for engine specific parts, but those hoses must be generic parts, surely?

I can’t believe VP make them (ie actually make hoses from scratch) - they don’t make injection systems (Bosch), turbos (KKK), electric wire, raw water pumps (Jabsco) etc...it’s all bought in!

I think even the coolant hoses must be specced and made by a third party.

Bandit

Visit site
I don't deny some stuff is probably subcon manufacture, the parts availability from VP is good second to none in fact and there is a cost in supplying that inventory.

Bear in mind standard warranty on a VP part fitted by an owner or an independent is 12 months part only but if fitted by a Volvo Penta dealer its two years parts and labour.

Tell your mate to check for burnt oil residue on the outlet of the turbo to the inlet manifold, feels like tar but blades are clean indicates exhaust gas to inlet manifold leak.

burgundyben

Visit site
Okaaay..... so those are the only two options in your opinion?

Volvo manufacturers there own tubing? Not bought in from somewhere?

Come on burgundyben - I’ve followed and respected some of your exploits on this forum for years, kind of expected better!

Turns out Samco (motor tuning company) do such a thing. For about 10% of the Volvo price.

Designed specifically to connect to turbo outlets.

You expected better? To explain where I come from...

I'm 23 years in industry, more recently a spell managing turbocharger development and currently low speed turbine development.

Doubtless the Volvo part is subcontracted out to a manufacturer.

The hose in question, its design, its performance at peak conditions, its performance under transient conditions and steady state, its fatigue life will have been verified as part of a desk top exercise, it will have been validated as part of whole engine testing, and maybe updated as a result of in field performance.

There will be full traceability of the raw materials, the supplier with have been audited initially before being selected by Volvo as a supplier, there will be ongoing audits and quality assurance behind each batch of parts.

Volvo invest in the stock, control of the stock and the logistics to get the part to you long after the end of the warranty period.

At £112 is cheap.

You go buy a Samco silicone hose from Demon Tweeks, you'll get a subset of the above and none of it specific to the application. You won't know how long the Samco part will last compared to the Volvo part (neither do I), but the devil is in the detail with these things.

The last thing you want is to be messing about in the engine bay again fitting the Volvo part cos the Samco one didn't last.

My previous post and this one intended to suggest the Volvo part is the best option.

One more thing, its a little off track, but you might find it interesting, 3 years ago I happened to spend an afternoon with ex head of RR Aero engine development, he said, that when a part fails, and the engineers head back to their desk to try and work out why, looking back through all the desk top analysis, that the cause was there, it was failed to be spotted, or incorrectly scored in the DFMEA. You know what happened? We got our prototype to the test cell and 7 seconds after we lit the gas it failed in spectacular fashion, and there, hidden in the 3D thermal FEA under transient conditions, we'd seen the cause and ignored it. Thermal expansion of bolt ahead of turbine, so tension in the bolt dropped off under transient condition of increasing temperature.

Hope the above is interesting and perhaps helps to ensure reliability of the boat.

Bandit

Visit site
An interesting approach Burgundyben.

FYI my two turbo hoses that failed have done 18 years so good service and well out of warranty so I replaced port and starboard.

rosssavage

Visit site
You expected better? To explain where I come from...

I'm 23 years in industry, more recently a spell managing turbocharger development and currently low speed turbine development.

Doubtless the Volvo part is subcontracted out to a manufacturer.

The hose in question, its design, its performance at peak conditions, its performance under transient conditions and steady state, its fatigue life will have been verified as part of a desk top exercise, it will have been validated as part of whole engine testing, and maybe updated as a result of in field performance.

There will be full traceability of the raw materials, the supplier with have been audited initially before being selected by Volvo as a supplier, there will be ongoing audits and quality assurance behind each batch of parts.

Volvo invest in the stock, control of the stock and the logistics to get the part to you long after the end of the warranty period.

At £112 is cheap.

You go buy a Samco silicone hose from Demon Tweeks, you'll get a subset of the above and none of it specific to the application. You won't know how long the Samco part will last compared to the Volvo part (neither do I), but the devil is in the detail with these things.

The last thing you want is to be messing about in the engine bay again fitting the Volvo part cos the Samco one didn't last.

My previous post and this one intended to suggest the Volvo part is the best option.

One more thing, its a little off track, but you might find it interesting, 3 years ago I happened to spend an afternoon with ex head of RR Aero engine development, he said, that when a part fails, and the engineers head back to their desk to try and work out why, looking back through all the desk top analysis, that the cause was there, it was failed to be spotted, or incorrectly scored in the DFMEA. You know what happened? We got our prototype to the test cell and 7 seconds after we lit the gas it failed in spectacular fashion, and there, hidden in the 3D thermal FEA under transient conditions, we'd seen the cause and ignored it. Thermal expansion of bolt ahead of turbine, so tension in the bolt dropped off under transient condition of increasing temperature.

Hope the above is interesting and perhaps helps to ensure reliability of the boat.

And there is the better, thank you :)

Ok, I realise that must have taken some time to type, and you probably only bothered as I touched a nerve, but the first answer didn’t really help!

Now you’ve qualified it, it makes more sense why vp can charge what they do.

As I said, I’ve followed some of your exploits and projects here for a long time - thank you for taking the time to write the post.

Lulla-Belle

Visit site
Little Trade Secret!

Most of the OEMs use a company called Silflex in S Wales and if they have a mandrel they will make you a handmade Silicone one for a fraction of the cost!

Not the quickest in getting things done but they are the main suppliers for 90% of Engine manufactures in Europe and nearly all Bus / Truck Builders.

Dont tell them you heared it from me you will need a drawing as they wont disclose any knowledge of Part numbers.

rosssavage

Visit site
Little Trade Secret!

Most of the OEMs use a company called Silflex in S Wales and if they have a mandrel they will make you a handmade Silicone one for a fraction of the cost!

Not the quickest in getting things done but they are the main suppliers for 90% of Engine manufactures in Europe and nearly all Bus / Truck Builders.

Dont tell them you heared it from me you will need a drawing as they wont disclose any knowledge of Part numbers.

Brilliant, thank you. I’ll call them tomorrow (don’t worry, your secret is safe...!)

Depending on pricing, I might ask them to make me some raw water inlet hoses too - the ones on my boat are getting a little long in the tooth, and Vetus stuff is silly money..