trying again

G

seems I posterd in the wrong forum - oops

Hello everyone.....I'm new to the forum and boating! Anyway, I hope this is a friendly place for the novice. Having thought boating up and down the Thames a nice way to spend the summer evenings and weekends - and a way of getting away from the housework - Im in the process of buying my first boat. Its a Weston 670 (22' cabin cruiser with outboard) and i can't wait. Its in Norwich at the moment and I plan on putting it on a trailer and bringing it home in a couple of weeks - another newexperiance.

Time to read some treads and pick up tips asap - kinda learning as I go along :)

G

Re: bored housewife! ah, er sorry.

Hi ! I thought (from your username) tht you were female. But then I read your profile whatsit. Dang! Anyway, congrats on new toy, and sounds quite handy being a forklift instructor.

A word of warning though. Be very careful about going anywhere near...the scuttlebutt forum. Cos they're all in the middle of "wooden sailing boats are better than plastic" and "motoboats are the lowest of the low". What rubbish! And it makes us sound like complete louts! Anyway, at the moment we're in the middle of some erudite conversations about peculiar cocktail drinks, getting nicked by the police, and the possibility of nailing a large V8 on the back of a canoe like they do in thailand.

Actually, some of us sail boats too (I do sometimes) , especially chartering, but we either keep quiet about it, or at least give sailboat some appropriate stick to find wottle it do. Welcome aboard anyway!

G

Hmmm, hadn't thought the name had a gender leaning - too late to change it now though - I'd better start all my post with some excessive macho tech chat or something.

Haven't even got my boat yet but fancy a bigger faster Surbiton wedding cake already - must be the something the cocktail waiter slipped in under the little brolly.

Thank you for the welcome, pull me out if I fall in!

G

Good question! Nearest to home is Thames Ditton Marina, however, they don't have any space - they tell me they're building new pontoons. Next nearest is Walton Marina so maybe there unless anyone has any other ideas :)

jfm

Visit site
Re: welcome

Welcome Steve/Aldricia. you will soon be an addict, a condition I got promoted to today in fact. Please give us some more details on your boat and engine (and pending speeding tickets, if you like) and we will then gladly offer frivolous comment or try to fix the toilet or sell you spare parts if K&K (moderators) don't catch us. On Matt's point, I think many of us are sailors as well as motorised boaters - I'm 50:50 as have Jeanneau yacht and an engine boat, I just prefer this BB to Scuttlebutt becuase Scuttlebutters are a bit narrow minded in the sail-rules-supreme department. They're the sort of people who when they rent a car on holiday insist on still driving on the left cuz that's the only way to do it and anything else is wrong. Best wishes

JFM

G

Re: welcome

:D

My boat (to be)....a 22' GRP cabin cruiser '88. It got forward and aft cabin of the smallest oder and a center cock pit. All white with a blue stripe and blue covers. Other half has likened it to a float ice cream van.

The engine is a 45HP outboard Johnson with susposed 10knot max.

I've no idea what needs fixing/replacing but its going to need something since it doesn't have the safety cert. Its currently in Norwich and I plan to tow to the Thames soon - scary.

Thanks for the welcome.

jfm

Visit site
Right then a 99 and 2 Magnums plse (sorry)

Boat sounds fun. Actually my worry wiv your project would be the trailer. Often they're dodgy and have bad wheelbearings and brakes, and if you just go and hand over the cash and hitch up to drive it home it all busts on the motorway. So sorry to put damper on it but I'd check out the trailer well. Mind you, at least you wont get a speeding ticket

JFM

G

Re: Right then a 99 and 2 Magnums plse (sorry)

Hmm the trailering thing......

As it happens the trailer is being supplied by the broker and I'm having it serviced by a local boat yard before I use it. That said, I've been reading on the legalities and I'm bit concerned about fixing a big enough trailer board and enough marker lights.