Trouble changing throttle cable

Treecle

Visit site
The throttle cable on our Volvo penta engine broke yesterday. We've managed to find a replacement but the time has come to fit it, but we're having trouble removing the cable from the control in the cockpit. See photo below.

image.jpg

The cable is held up in the metal support. The whole looks big enough at the back that if we could move the cable back We would be able to pull it down. But there is a screw in the way, and turning said screw seems to do nothing. So we thought we'd try and remove the mechanism from the inside but that screw seems to be rock solid and we are getting nowhere trying to turn it.

If anyone has some advice it would be gratefully received, or the skipper may make me row the rest if the way home.

scottie

Visit site
If it comes to the worst you can disconnect the cable from the engine and manuver at idle and make temp for for throttle on passage
You may be able get some slack by loosening the engine end of the cables

Cardo

www.yacht-tinkerbell.co.uk
We have a temporary fix in place, thankfully, but I would like to replace the cable with the new one to be on the safe side. The engine side (a Beta Marine) is pretty straight forward, but the Morse control side (an old Volvo Penta control) is proving very tricky. I have managed to disconnect the end of it from the throttle control as seen in the photo, but the clamp that holds the cable in place, on the right of the photo, is proving to be a problem. As stated, trying to undo the big screw behind the throttle cable does nothing, this just turns (which leads me to believe there's a nut on the other side), and there's no way to feed the cable through, as the piece is there to stop it from going anywhere.
I've tried to remove the entire metal piece to try and get to the back of it, but it seems to be held on by the screw that holds the gear shift mechanism in place (on the left), and that is absolutely solid. My attempts to remove it are just damaging the screw, making future removal even more difficult.

I would appreciate any tips or suggestions as to how to remove the blasted thing. It really should not have to be this difficult!

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
If I'm understanding correctly the throttle cable is stuck in the swivel 'U' shaped retainer. It should only be a push fit. Can you get a pair of pliers with one side of the jaws on the end of the outer cable ferrule and the other on the right hand side of the 'U' piece so that when you squeeze, it will push the cable out?
Have a look at the diagrams in the TX controls document on this page. The TX controls use an 'R' clip to hold the throttle cable into that 'u' piece.

Cardo

www.yacht-tinkerbell.co.uk
If I'm understanding correctly the throttle cable is stuck in the swivel 'U' shaped retainer. It should only be a push fit. Can you get a pair of pliers with one side of the jaws on the end of the outer cable ferrule and the other on the right hand side of the 'U' piece so that when you squeeze, it will push the cable out?
Have a look at the diagrams in the TX controls document on this page. The TX controls use an 'R' clip to hold the throttle cable into that 'u' piece.

Thanks very much for the link. Whilst it's a different brand, it looks like the throttle mechanism is virtually the same as mine. Trying to push the cable out is a non starter, unfortunately the retainer is different, but the instructions show me how to remove the mechanism so I can get to the other side so I can remove the U piece altogether.

Ta muchly!

scottie

Visit site
Thanks very much for the link. Whilst it's a different brand, it looks like the throttle mechanism is virtually the same as mine. Trying to push the cable out is a non starter, unfortunately the retainer is different, but the instructions show me how to remove the mechanism so I can get to the other side so I can remove the U piece altogether.

Ta muchly!

Same make TX different version or later date

IanL

Visit site
I had to replace a throttle cable last week. A couple of tips that might help -
1. If you dismantle the mechanism try to check which groove the roller runs in. Although all the instructions suggested the inner groove, I am certain that ours was working in the outer groove. Wear was apparent and grease traces showing.
2. Make sure you are in neutral when you reassemble. It all makes a bit more sense then. We had moved the lever to reverse to take out the grub screw and left it there making life difficult.
Good luck.

BruceDanforth

Visit site
I had this happen to me on Tuesday down near Littlehampton I think and got the local boat fixer in Dover to change the cable as I was tired, battered and bruised. It cost me £100 including the cable.

He removed the grub screw holding the lever, popped the plastic cover off the controls and unbolted the controls so he could pull them out into the cockpit.

That was the easy end. It was lying on the cockpit floor hanging down the inspection hatch to do the other end that I didn't fancy after a long single handed trip from Gosport.

Visit site
I had this happen to me on Tuesday down near Littlehampton I think and got the local boat fixer in Dover to change the cable as I was tired, battered and bruised. It cost me £100 including the cable.

He removed the grub screw holding the lever, popped the plastic cover off the controls and unbolted the controls so he could pull them out into the cockpit.

That was the easy end. It was lying on the cockpit floor hanging down the inspection hatch to do the other end that I didn't fancy after a long single handed trip from Gosport.

Long single handed trip from Gosport Dobbin,it's just round the corner! You should have called me up I would have come round & given you a toe ;)

BruceDanforth

Visit site
It was long because I was heading East into an Easterly with a fouled hull which I had hoped was going to clean itself once I got underway.

You would have found a reason not to do any work on board anyway and would just have been a drain on the biscuits.

Visit site
It was long because I was heading East into an Easterly with a fouled hull which I had hoped was going to clean itself once I got underway.

You would have found a reason not to do any work on board anyway and would just have been a drain on the biscuits.

It would take more than a packet of biscuits to get me working on your slave ship Dobbin.
You could have stopped at Brighton Dobbin I did it myself a few years ago though in reverse......with a clean bottom & a functioning loo & the wind behind me :encouragement:

www.bavariayacht.info
... He removed the grub screw holding the lever, popped the plastic cover off the controls and unbolted the controls so he could pull them out into the cockpit. That was the easy end...

Now is a good time for everyone to check the screws holding the Morse control in place, mine had rusted solid. Replaced with stainless cap screws when I changed the control.