Treadmaster M v Treadmaster SP

machurley22

Visit site
I have a '72 Hurley 22 whose forehatch, mainhatch and hatch garage, lazarette hatch, cockpit locker lids and cockpit seating are "distinguished" by a layer of fake wood laminated under clear gel coat and these "design features" are now looking somewhat tatty (whatever you think of the effect).

My plan is to cover the forehatch, hatch garage and lazarette hatch with Treadmaster M (the one with the diamond pattern) since I imagine they are the bits that would benefit most from a non-slip treatment and all three could be cut from a single sheet, but I haven't really decided what to do with the other areas. I'm now considering covering these with Treadmaster SP (the smoother one) and am wondering about the relative merits of the two (both non-slip and comfort-wise). Would sitting on Treadmaster SP rapidly destroy my oilies? Does anyone have any other ideas for these areas?

Thanks,

Dave

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
I'm afraid i have a pathological hatred of Treadmaster. I fel that any boats sporting treadmaster should also provide little bootees to protect my shoes from the hideous ghastly stuff. It's not that it isn't non-slip - it is - but its very appearnace screams "Cheap - i'm Cheap and Practical!" Choose the light blue to complete the horrible effect, Fablon over the table and plasticy easi-wipe curtains on the windows.

erm, the non-diamond pattern one is ok. sorry about this outburst.....

<hr width=100% size=1>

jerryat

Visit site
Hi tcm!

Wow! Afraid I disagree entirely. Treadmaster is anything but cheap and in my view doesn't look it either - still each to his own!

Machurley22, I would definitely go for the smooth type. I used to have a Hurley 22 many moons ago (fantastic little seaboats too) and the areas you are considering are mainly sitting areas. Ok if you've got oilies on (and no, it won't damage them) but damned uncomfortable if your wearing shorts, swimming gear and the like. The diamond version very successfully inprints a sharp diamond pattern in your delicate bits which, while making them wonderfully non-skid, can be quite painful after a while!!

As I say, I would use the smooth variety, keep the crew comfy and enjoy a non-skid quality almost as good!!

Good sailing!

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
Time to take your meds, TCM!

For the rest of us Treadmaster is a great non-slip product, only becoming a problem when it gets old. Treadmaster SP is specifically designed for sitting on, Treadmaster DP not so comfortable, but its never done my oilies any harm.

Knew a guy who pebble-dashed his decks, now that you might have justifiably complained about. Kept the crew from sitting down on the job, though!

machurley22

Visit site
Thanks all - even tcm

I take it you're a teak man then tcm (your decks probably cost several times more than my entire little ship) but sadly my budget dictates the Cheap and Practical approach though I wouldn't necessarily describe Treadmaster as cheap. I'd half hoped that someone would describe a superior product from B&Q at half the price!

I had thought to use diamond pattern on the deck hatches and smooth in the cockpit seating areas (I notice I didn't make myself absolutely clear in the original post) but after the advice given I may go with smooth all over.

Thanks again

Dave

PS I used to be indecisive - but now I'm not so sure.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jorinda

Visit site
Had a guy on the phone today offering a new "tredmaster" type product at a discount price, once I get the leaflets etc. through I'll update you on it.

<hr width=100% size=1>The Chandler at Bucklers Hard

AndrewB

Visit site
Re: Thanks all - even tcm

Personally I'd go with your original plan, unless people regularly sit on the hatches. I use both types, but the DP definitely offers better grip in critical spots.

<hr width=100% size=1>

milltech

www.iTalkFM.com
I'd add that it'll look a mish mash if you use both types on the same boat. I'm thinking of using the diamond pattern because its appropriate to the workboat ethos of an old lifeboat, but I know it'll be a killer on my toeses, and lilos will definitely be needed by anyone wishing to sunbathe.

<hr width=100% size=1>John
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.allgadgets.co.uk>http://www.allgadgets.co.uk</A>

mickp

Visit site
Try Deckotred simular to Treadmaster but half the price try company called Technix Rubber & Plastics Ltd. at Botley 0800 216633 or search web they have a site

<hr width=100% size=1>