Treadmaster i- Deck Prep advice needed

Wandering Star

Visit site
Been putting off this job since I bought the boat a couple of years ago. I’ve read all the threads and viewed several online videos but there are still a couple of things I need advice on.

I bought a used Fein Multitool last year for the initial Treadmsster removal but I’ve not used it yet. What are the best blades to use and I’ve noticed comments about keeping the blades sharp - how do I sharpen the blades? With a stone, a file, a grinder?

My main concern though is that once I’ve removed all the Treadmaster, my plan is to then paint the deck but the original GRP deck substrate doesn’t have a smooth finish like a Westerly for example, it’s a moulded in “pimply” non slip surface with Treadmaster panels laid over it. How easy will it be to remove all the adhesive stuck inside the moulded non slip pimples after stripping off the Treadmaster? Will an heat gun help and what sort of heat gun would be best to buy? I did wonder about using a rotary wire brush head in an electric grinder to clean the pimples - would that be reckless Any tips or dire warnings will be much appreciated. Boat is coming out in a couple of days and I want to get cracking straight away!!IMG_0472.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0474.jpeg
    IMG_0474.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:

FairweatherDave

Visit site
If you are painting over with a grippy paint it won't necessarily matter getting it perfectly smooth. Not all grippy paint is the same. I'd see what it is like after the treadmaster is off (btw I removed treadmaster with a Bahco scraper and anything else that worked for five minutes....Inc a Bosch electric chisel...rotating my efforts). I'm no perfectionist just wanted the boat a bit smarter. So if you can't shift old glue just paint over...

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I have similar issues with the treadmaster on my boat.

I glued my treadmaster on sing a gray Sikaflex type adhesives and used a Bosch electric scraper that has a forward and back motion and it removed moat of the treadmaster quickly.
I then used an angle grinder with a cup wire brush to cleanup any remaining glue.

Have not decided how/what I am going to replace the anti-slip with yet and am looking at some light gray rubber type covering but will again use a Sikaflex type adhesive as I found that the edges stayed glued down.

harvey38

Visit site
Work in a small area using lots of heat and a multi tool scraper. There are plenty of photos on our blog when I removed it fro our 38' mobo. I used these blades with great results.

94560.jpg