Training Centre Recommendations

Groucho

Visit site
Having now acquired my boat, I feel I need a bit of training, specifically on VHF use (so I can get my operators licence) and diesel engine maintenance and/or marine electricals. I see RYA has appropriate courses, but the website does not allow you to actually find and book a face to face course on a particular date, for which you need to go to the training provider direct. These include yacht clubs, commercial training providers, institutes, etc. I would be interested to know which East Coast centres forum members have used and would recommend and whether the RYA courses are best for this type of training or if there are better alternatives.

RivalRedwing

Visit site
Care to tie down your location a little more.. Suffolk, Essex, Kent? or further North, many will point out that the east coast could/should include the Humber, Whitby etc. I'm sure you are prepared to travel but...

Groucho

Visit site
Yes, I am happy to clarify. Boat currently in Aldeburgh (so I go up there but no further) and I am in easy reach of Colchester, Brightlingsea, Tollesbury, Heybridge, Mersea. Kent - not so much

ex-Gladys

Visit site
Look at the West Mersea YC website under training, VHF course on 24th March (I will be instructing or examining, can't remember which), can''t remember when the Diesel course is...

MikeBz

Visit site
I did my VHF course at Bradwell Outdoors Centre (just before they changed the rules to make it a longer process), but currently they are not showing anything scheduled.

Plum

Visit site
Having now acquired my boat, I feel I need a bit of training, specifically on VHF use (so I can get my operators licence) and diesel engine maintenance and/or marine electricals. I see RYA has appropriate courses, but the website does not allow you to actually find and book a face to face course on a particular date, for which you need to go to the training provider direct. These include yacht clubs, commercial training providers, institutes, etc. I would be interested to know which East Coast centres forum members have used and would recommend and whether the RYA courses are best for this type of training or if there are better alternatives.
I recommend Colin Stracey at Premier Sailing Premier Sailing | RYA Courses, Sailing Trips & More

Marmalade

Visit site
Also a vote for Bradwell Outdoors... If you have not done so - an ICC course or Day Skipper in addition to the technical courses is always a good way of dusting off old knowledge

PeterWright

Visit site
Hi Groucho,

Your intention to get some training before putting to sea is commendable, but after a VHF, navigation and a basic power boat / sailing course, suited to your current level of knowledge seatime will be as important to devdloping your skills as more courses. Try to fit the shore based stuff ( VHF, Navigation, engine maintenance) into the winter months, then do the stuff afloat in the better weather.

If you have joined an RYA afilliated saing club, it's quite likely tht they run some RYA courses. Otherwise, East Anglian Sea School at Suffolk Yacht Harbour, probably offer the most extensive range of courses in Suffolk and Essex. Take a few minutes to review their website, given by Maisie Moo above, then have a chat with them to see which courses would be most appropriate for you.

I don' t even know if your new pride and joy is a sailing boat or a power boat.

Peter.