Trailer.

ccscott49

Visit site
Looking for a trailer for a 3.4 meter zodiac yachtline RIB, I know nowt about trailers, what size do I need and can I get one easily cheap secondhand? What I mean really is are they available easily. I have a towbar etc on my pajero and a lightboard. Thanks for any help.

Bill1

Visit site
Yes should be fairly simple, no brakes needed I'd look round for a dinghy trailer and perhaps add rollers for easy launching. Also if your going to tow it any distance I would spend £25 on some new bearings. All you need to know is the all up weight of the rib ie including engine and any other bits you might have added.

Bill

graham

Visit site
I see your location is "Med" I think in Spain a trailer has to have an inspection similar to UK MOT. Not sure about other countries.

oughtoc

Visit site
Hi, handy hint for trailers - get a spare wheel. We all carry one for the car, but you can't really carry on if your trailer gets a flat. Had this gently pointed out by nice RAC man & felt a bit of a plonker - now have spare in car when travelling.

To get your best second hand trailer, find the best rolling base you can afford & add all the bits you need. A bit like meccano kit built out of scaffolding, I added 2nd hand rollers & 2nd hand winch from chuck out trailers at my club when there was a clearout - saved a small fortune.

Lakesailor

Visit site
It's a good point. One of those cans of blow-up-and-seal repair gubbins is a handy alternative, provided the tyre hasn't shredded.

I found a spare wheel and tyre floating down the beck in the garden and rescued it. I checked the wheel size, offset and tyre size against my trailer for Slippy and kept it as a spare. When I came to sell Slippy I dug out the spare to put in the boat and for some reason measured the PCD (pitch circle diameter - across opposing studs)
Yes, I've been toting about a wheel which wouldn't even bolt onto the hub. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

cliffordpope

Visit site
Don't forget you are going to need a suitable jack, and of course a wheel brace. Remember to check that the jack will go under the chassis or whichever bit even when the tyre is flat.