Trailer storage

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
I'm looking for somewhere to store a 25ft long twin axle boat trailer, and not finding it as simple as I'd have hoped. I paid £30 per month at a Surrey caravan park to store trailer and boat over winter, but they're now full, anyone I can find with space is asking for nearly treble that. I don't care if it's in a weedy bog, just somewhere that's moderately secure between East Surrey and Hamble.

I'd be very grateful for any ideas?

Nigel_Ward

Visit site
A few years ago I kept a trailer sailer at a caravan storage yard. The big advantage of caravan storage is that is usually secure. There is a trade body http://www.cassoa.co.uk. They list there members and security grade. This gives more confidence in the event of insurance claims and boat trailers are very vulnerable.
In my experience caravan storage is cheaper than anything boaty. My current caravan storage is £300 per year and includes security gate and video monitoring.

rwoofer

Visit site
I sympathise as I had the same problem, although I struggled to find anywhere less than £100 a month. People seemed to effectively treat it as a boat.

I now keep it in the nettles of my dinghy sailing club for £10 a year. Not an option for everyone though.

Foolish Muse

Visit site
I was paying CDN $50 per month to store my trailer, until I came to the realization that at $600 per year I'd pay for the whole bloody trailer in 2-3 years. So I did the smart thing and sold it. If I ever need it again I'll buy, rent or borrow one. I could literally buy one for $1,500, use it and then drop it in the ocean after use and I'd still be ahead of the game.
It's been 10 years since I last needed it.

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
Thanks all. Had a bit of luck with a local farm. £40pcm - which is a lot cheaper than some places I contacted.

The trailer came with the boat, but if I were starting from scratch I'd draw up a bolt-together chassis to avoid this problem. In fact I'm thinking I might do a bit of modifying of what I have - get it down to three pieces so that it's car-sized and then drop a Ferrari body over it? Maybe I could charge people who'd like it on their drive.

lw395

Visit site
I bought a lock-up garage, which stored among other things, a yacht cradle.
I sold the garage at a modest profit when I moved, but found I had an awful lot of tat to ebay.
A mate of mine owns a 4 wheel trailer that will take a land rover. He seems to lend it to people and only borrow it back when needed.