Trailer for Merry Fisher 805

chamac

Visit site
Well folks, the followup.
I just got back to Ireland from France with my MF805.
First job was to go to the UK to SBS Trailers to collect my excellent brand new trailer.
I have to say that the trailer is a fantastic piece of craftsmanship and exceptional value for money.
Big thanks to the great team at SBS in Wolverhampton. I can highly recommend their trailers.
Very friendly family run business with even an Irish foreman from my home town working there.
Once home, a week later, next part was to catch the ferry from Dublin Port to Cherbourg on the mighty WB Yeats.
From Cherbourg, three hours drive west to Pleneuf Val Andre to load the boat.
Craning went well and I was put up for the night with bed, food and hostipality provided by the broker.
Next morning a little worse for wear, I headed back east to Cherbourg.
My Ford Ranger 2.0 Biturbo was well able for the task. 70kms an hour on cruise control most of the way
baring a 55klm detour to avoid an accident on the autoroute. The tiny villages and steep climbs were fun..
The Ranger returned 23.32 mpg which I think is very respectable towing such a load. She gets c. 36mpg solo.
The trailer handled impeccably without any hint of a sway. Front tyres only got a little warm but that was it.
On reading the manual later, I would think my gross trailer weight could have been north of 4 tons. Lucky I did not find out..
At 4am that morning, I was boarded by a group of migrants who were trying to hide in the cockpit.
They did not stay long when they realised they were not alone.
A mad winch handle wielding Irishman roaring obscenities advancing on them was not what they were expecting ?
Next day, onto the ferry and home sixteen hours later well rested and fed on the floating hotel.
As an ex trucker who has been away from the road for thirty five years, it was a great trip and adventure.
The boat and trailer never felt like it was under pressure, Brakes were easily able for the load at the low speeds traveled.
On the road it is important to look the part. Convoi Exceptionnel signage and width markers,
amber flashing lights and high vis jacket.
I had my Convoi Exceptionnel maps, booklets and permits for each department crossed. Only ? was weight.
Obviously shes no Fletcher 17 but floating her on and off the trailer with the tide should be well dooable.

chamac

Visit site
After a full engine service and changing all rubber parts, timing belt, impeller, drive belts etc,
I reversed her down a slip and floated her off last Saturday without a problem.
First spin out the bay on Sunday, She's just brilliant at what she does. Even got some fish.
Job Done :cool:

Chenko

Visit site
After a full engine service and changing all rubber parts, timing belt, impeller, drive belts etc,
I reversed her down a slip and floated her off last Saturday without a problem.
First spin out the bay on Sunday, She's just brilliant at what she does. Even got some fish.
Job Done :cool:

Really glad to have found your post. I have an 805 and have been looking for a trailer for ages. I've spoken to SBS and someone is going to get back to me. Which model did you go for?