Traffic Lanes for Lymington River because of ignorance of rules by powerboats

alant

Visit site
According to local newspaper, Lymington Harbour Commissioners are considering putting up notices at the entrance to the river, warning users that they must stay strictly on the starboard side (right hand side for those the notice is intended for - mainly users of power vessels according to the article) when entering & leaving.
Powerboaters should not be alarmed that they alone are being castigated however, because LHC think these notices may only last a short time due to them being hit by sailing yachts as their masts knock them off the posts! Will this new boat handling skill now be a requirement of the ICC?

<hr width=100% size=1>

JOHNOO

Visit site
I can understand them doing this. I am always giving way to power boats on the wrong side of the river. Its not only Lyminton, its Hamble as well. Is it because they drive on the left that they think it is the correct side to be on the water??

<hr width=100% size=1>

Birdseye

Visit site
now come on, guys. i'm a raggie too, but i know its not all powerboats who ignore the conventions. there's no group worse than racing sailors, particularly in dinghies.

in any case, the drive on the starboard side only applies in a narrow channel. would you class the lymington river as a narrow channel. and if you do, do you follow all the other narrow channel rules ?

the real problem in lymington is too many boats imho /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
Yes, Lymington is a narrow channel, IMHO, especially when there is one or two of the ferries en route.

So I believe all rules should apply, but would be pleased to understand if/why not.

<hr width=100% size=1>People who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us that do.

Oldhand

Visit site
Nice to see the Commissioners realise there is a problem but it is not always powerboats on the wrong side of the channel. However, I have to ask what makes the Commissioners think the power vessels will read and obey the proposed signs? About 95% of powerboats ignore the 6 knot speed limit signs and if the same percentage ignored the propsed new signs, they would just be a waste of money!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Trazie

Visit site
Please don't tar us all with the same brush.
There are some considerate stinkies out there, just as there are some inconsiderate raggies.
Cheers
Trazie

<hr width=100% size=1>

MIKEV

Visit site
From my experience on the hamble one of the major causes for powerboaters having to travel on the wrong side is to avoid sailing boats comeing up or down river under sail tacking and jibieing all over the place IN RESTRICTED WATERS and so INMHO while not saying that all boats under power are whiter than white a lot of powered manouvers could be construed as taking evasive action.

<hr width=100% size=1>

l'escargot

Visit site
Perhaps we need a no overtaking rule. Trying to leave/arrive against the (traffic) flow it is not uncommon to find boats coming the other way 4 abreast. I would certainly define it as a narrow channel.

Also for boats to enter at Jack in the Basket on the correct side of the channel to prevent heading diagonally across it up to the first bend.

<hr width=100% size=1>