Towing Advice

Portofino

Visit site
Porsche’s Cayenne or VW Tourag version can tow 3500kg s

Additionally they have a low box , lockable central diff ,and lockable rear diff all at the press of a button .

Adjustable Air suspension ( where specced ) use the same Bahr units as on the proper Range Rovers .
Varying the ball height at the press of a button to release - drop the car ,or connect raise the car may be handy if the jockey wheels not co - operating .
Various engine specs inc nutter Turbo s for a bit of fun without the rig on the back :)

http://www.uktow.com/towing capacity.asp?make=Porsche&model1=Cayenne

Bigplumbs

Visit site
It's also worth pointing out that a transit van, which is easily hireable, can tow 3.5 tonnes.

Of course it's very little use on a slipway or a beach, but then, so's my Landrover.

Try and hire one with a tow hook you will find it very difficult

Bandit

Visit site
For a while i did quite extensive towing in France with new boats on single axle and twin axle road trailers.

initially with one of the early discoveries, then a series two both topped out loaded about 55 on the motorway and much slower up hill.

Last and current vehicle is a 2002 Toyota Amazon 4.2D. An excellent tow vehicle

It was well balanced and stable and towed effortlessly, some say one had seen 90mph with a 3 tonne trailer on an empty bit of motorway.

You need to set up the boat on the trailer to get the weight right, so the trailer does not snake, from memory the weight on the ball should be about 75kg?. Also if the jockey wheel slips you should be able to lift it.

BartW

www.amptec.be
You need to set up the boat on the trailer to get the weight right, so the trailer does not snake, from memory the weight on the ball should be about 75kg?. Also if the jockey wheel slips you should be able to lift it.

yes, thats very important,
75kg is good with a light weight trailer, <750kg,
but with heavy loads, it is better to have more weight on the ball, look in the specs from the tow car, and choose the max value,
more weight is much better for stability on the road.

I don't remember the specs from my merc GL, but I have approx 120kg on the ball iirc

weight on the tow hook can be weighed with a person scale,
and can be adjusted by moving the boat more fwd or backw, (pole on the bow)
check it every now and then, this can change when more fuel or more stuff is in the boat.

CLB

Visit site
9ft 6in is the maximum width of the load, which can overhang the sides of the trailer by a foot either side.

STEVEDUNSTABLE

sites.google.com
I was given the following two pieces of advice regarding towing a boat.
A. If you can before you set off tow the boat to a local weighbridge and get it weighed, and if you are under the 3500 gross set off, so if you are over you can remove things.
B. Some of the professional boat movers specifically tow on a Sunday as the roads are quieter and the weighbridges are closed.

Just as a point of order, interest and fact, you will be surprised to know that "some" weighbridges are often on "standby" out of hours with VOSA and are only to willing to get a "nick" anytime of day or night..The one at Crick M1 j18 is a case in point ....also for the professional boat movers who "push their luck", if they are involved in ANY police attended incident and get weighed and are found to be over the limit, their vehicle insurance is IMMEDIATELY canceled, therefore impounding the vehicle and load !!!!... bye bye your plastic pride n joy until YOU can arrange and pay for a transshipment to an upgraded rig !!!!..........

Last edited:

Boat2016

Visit site
B. Some of the professional boat movers specifically tow on a Sunday as the roads are quieter and the weighbridges are closed.

I wouldn’t be referring to someone who breaks the law as professional, these kind of cowboys do what they do to undercut the professionals who are faced with higher costs for doing it properly, i wouldn’t allow a boat of mine moved illegally

Assassin

Visit site
What about the Mitsubishi Shogun, 3500Kg towing limit and notorious for being the best towing vehicle by most experts, reliability second to none (unlike LR) and they are cheap to run.

CLB

Visit site
Brand new out of the factory so I'm inclined to think it's OK.

Thats very interesting. Brand new as in current, or bought brand new by you a few years ago. The current model appears to weigh much more. What is the model name/number of yours? Could be useful info for someone like the OP in the future.

Boat2016

Visit site
Okay, I should have stated the Titan. The 2009 Sorento Titan has a braked towing weight of 3500kg.

Just looked at the spec and you need the 3.3 V6 petrol version to tow 3500kg, not sure I could suffer the poor economy when there’s more economical diesel cars they will do the same job for a lot less.