Toughs Cobra 33

rodpage

Visit site
Hi, if you don't mind me asking, how do you know so much about its latest movements.

I'm in Iron Wharf a lot, pretty much every day. I watched it leave. I talked to the transporter driver. The boat caught my attention because it looks like a nicely shaped classic motor boat which has been converted into something a lot less pretty by having a house bolted on top. I'm hoping the new owner does something to restore the boat to her former glory.

arms519

Visit site
Ah OK cool, thankyou for the info, yeah I hope they do restore it the degree it deserves. I've just come across the old ebay post and if it was sold for about £2000, that is the bargain of the century, despite its condition. Be nice to see it once it's finished.

rodpage

Visit site
Ah OK cool, thankyou for the info, yeah I hope they do restore it the degree it deserves. I've just come across the old ebay post and if it was sold for about £2000, that is the bargain of the century, despite its condition. Be nice to see it once it's finished.

If you are on Facebook, the following link (provided I've got it right!) has some photos of the move from Brighton to Iron Wharf. Looks like it was the end of January this year.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1713517885379334&id=526028767461591

arms519

Visit site
OK that's cool, thankyou for the link. That monstrous block on top ??. Spoke to the guy that sold it on ebay, and now can't get hold of the other guy that bought her, thought it would be good to see what his plans were, looks like I really missed the boat on that one (no pun intended ? ) ?... Thankyou to all that shared info on its whereabouts, I'll be keeping an eye out for it in future.

Chappers425

Visit site
Hi guys. I've spotted a Toughs Cobra 330 for sale but I know nothing about the make at all. Is the 330 the same as the 33 and would it be a good first boat (Is it "user friendly", I suppose I mean)?

Wavey

Visit site
Toughs never made a 330. It’s either a Cobra 33 or a Python 27.

I‘ve found a boat listed as a 330 with twin Bedfords which is a Cobra 33. Looks nice and well cared for generally. Given the age a structural survey is essential, as is a detailed engineers report on those elderly Bedfords. Check spares availability too. Be aware many of these were sold as bare shells for home completion as I think that one was as to my knowledge Toughs themselves only ever fitted Perkins 6354 engines.

Home completion in itself isn’t necessarily an issue if it’s done well, but many people underestimated what was involved and the quality of fit out varies from really good to pretty awful. That one looks quite good from the pictures.

My first boat was a Cobra 33 and we had 8 fabulous years with it. Easy to handle with twins and a really good hull design with excellent sea keeping qualities. Mainly wide side decks make it nice and safe to move around. If an engineer and surveyor report highlight nothing of significance and engine spares are not a problem I’d have one again as a first boat.

Chappers425

Visit site
Toughs never made a 330. It’s either a Cobra 33 or a Python 27.

I‘ve found a boat listed as a 330 with twin Bedfords which is a Cobra 33. Looks nice and well cared for generally. Given the age a structural survey is essential, as is a detailed engineers report on those elderly Bedfords. Check spares availability too. Be aware many of these were sold as bare shells for home completion as I think that one was as to my knowledge Toughs themselves only ever fitted Perkins 6354 engines.

Home completion in itself isn’t necessarily an issue if it’s done well, but many people underestimated what was involved and the quality of fit out varies from really good to pretty awful. That one looks quite good from the pictures.

My first boat was a Cobra 33 and we had 8 fabulous years with it. Easy to handle with twins and a really good hull design with excellent sea keeping qualities. Mainly wide side decks make it nice and safe to move around. If an engineer and surveyor report highlight nothing of significance and engine spares are not a problem I’d have one again as a first boat.
Thanks Wavey. It looks lovely but my spidey senses are tingling after I got this answer to my questions:
Hi she has been on the water for 10
Years
My father bought her from Glasgow and had her transported to Burnham-on-Sea on Sea
She had been serviced and anti fouled then and
Sacrificials
In the time Dad owned her he used her twice in 10 years and was not out for more than an hour.

As to the hours on the engine I really can’t answer
But in the last 10
Years no more than 3 hours in total.

Certainly full survey needed, I think!

Wavey

Visit site
I can hear the distant ringing of alarm bells :eek:

Full survey and an engineers report on the engines by someone who knows those GM Bedfords inside out, and a full sea trial with that engineer on board essential.

Nauti Fox

Ducatiproteam.co.uk
I worked there in the early 70's, mainly on the police launches, pilot boats and a bit on Brave Gooose. Working in the sheds in winter wasn't fun, especially when you got fibreglass in your overalls...
My enduring memories were the trips out to the measured mile off Southend.... Once shoe-horned into a pilot boats engine room to do things when they were concerned about the speed clause....

SP2

www.rightsofway.co.uk
My father's Cobra 33 was a hull and superstructure built by Tough's in 1972 and they fitted twin Bedford engines (rated at 146hp as I recall) as this was one of their options and cheaper than the 6354s. It never went very fast and we had to change the gearboxes and props to try to get her to plane. Lovely boat otherwise which we fitted out in oak and ash but frankly an engineering disaster. We did get it to Holland but it was soon replaced by an Ocean 37.

Cazwoz

Visit site
Hi guys. I've spotted a Toughs Cobra 330 for sale but I know nothing about the make at all. Is the 330 the same as the 33 and would it be a good first boat (Is it "user friendly", I suppose I mean)?
We went to see her, she’s laid up in Burnham on Sea. She’s a mess and needs a lot of work doing to her and not been out of the water in years. We just bought a toughs Cobra 33 which had spent its life either dry or in the river. She’s on her way from shepperton to Portland as we speak.

Attachments

• A564AD34-110D-40DB-8A03-13459F785C4C.jpeg
    A564AD34-110D-40DB-8A03-13459F785C4C.jpeg
    47.1 KB · Views: 21

Cazwoz

Visit site
Thanks Wavey. It looks lovely but my spidey senses are tingling after I got this answer to my questions:
Hi she has been on the water for 10
Years
My father bought her from Glasgow and had her transported to Burnham-on-Sea on Sea
She had been serviced and anti fouled then and
Sacrificials
In the time Dad owned her he used her twice in 10 years and was not out for more than an hour.

As to the hours on the engine I really can’t answer
But in the last 10
Years no more than 3 hours in total.

Certainly full survey needed, I think!
Went to see her a couple of weeks ago. She’s a bit of a mess and smelly. Over priced as well as bought another for £3k less with better engines.

SP2

www.rightsofway.co.uk
We went to see her, she’s laid up in Burnham on Sea. She’s a mess and needs a lot of work doing to her and not been out of the water in years. We just bought a toughs Cobra 33 which had spent its life either dry or in the river. She’s on her way from shepperton to Portland as we speak.
I saw that one for sale and it looked a very tidy example. I hope you have many happy hours on her.

Mike

Flynnbarr

Visit site
OK that's cool, thankyou for the link. That monstrous block on top ??. Spoke to the guy that sold it on ebay, and now can't get hold of the other guy that bought her, thought it would be good to see what his plans were, looks like I really missed the boat on that one (no pun intended ? ) ?... Thankyou to all that shared info on its whereabouts, I'll be keeping an eye out for it in future.
If you’re still about/looking for a project then Blue Angel is up for sale currently on the website findafishingboat.