Top tips for single-handing

Seakindly

Beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
Visit site
Inspired by the 'in or out?' discussion have decided to stay in for a few months and after very many years with crew, have a go at single-handing when there's few about to point and titter. Anyhow: since many EC forumites are well practised - some tips would be welcome. The boat is old, heavy, 32 footer up a creek. Am having to start from basics and work my way up. Don't even have a working auto-pilot yet so kit and rig suggestions welcome too.

bendyone

Visit site
Get a autopilot, and then if you plan on doing it more get a spare one.
Planning is the key, once clear of everything the sailing bit is easy but you need to plan for mooring, fenders all round and ropes on each corner. Do everything slowly and you will have no problems.
Dont drink too much as it gets confusing and there is no one to help you out
/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
Loads of posts on 'practical boat' with loads of advice.

In short without repeating those posts it isn't difficult, just give yourself time and work through in your mind what you are going to do in advance, what could go wrong and how you would cope with that.

With a heavy boat she is not going to be bouncing about which is a help and without a working auto pilot she will presumably track pretty straight with balanced sails for a few minutes whilst you are away from the helm.

Pick your weather and have fun!

PS. Have a flask of coffee and box of favourite biscuits to hand in the cockpit!

Seakindly

Visit site
Thanks. Am sure it must be a 'bit' difficult though. A friend of mine emailed yesterday about his single-handing antics -though in this instance I doubt any crew would have made a difference - "Prior to this I was motoring for four days because there was no wind! I tried every trick in the book to make harbour but I was pushed back every time, day after day. Waves were going right over the boat as I tried to punch through. It started with an electrical storm allowing me to see ships in the shipping lane that I was crossing. One minute it was as black as night, the next minute with a crack of thunder I could see all the ships as if it was daylight. Every time I heard the crack I momentarily took my hands off the wet stainless steel wheel whilst the strike grounded around me. I thought I was going to be toast." jeepers.

MoodySabre

Visit site
The most difficult bits will probably be letting go the mooring and picking it up again. It does require a lot of thinking through. Perhaps try it singlehanded with someone else on board the first time to give you confidence. I'm in a marina but it still needs working out so as not to crash in there and provide too much entertainment for inevitable spectators. Once on the go a tillerpilot does make it easy to deal with sails etc. As well as coffee and food to hand you might find a convenient bucket useful /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Good luck - it is very satisfying to cope on your own.

Sixpence

Visit site
Not overly experienced myself but it didn't take long to realise I needed to have everything ready to go, easily, when on my own /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
And I don't think I'll forget to make sure the engine is locked down before trying to go astern again /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
No damage, but when you do cock up there is always going to be a crowd watching /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pyrojames

transat2013.blogspot.co.uk
Remember to turn on the GPS and the echo sounder before you cast off into the river. That's one of my favourite tricks....

Othersie lots of preparation as other have said. If you have a long keel, heavy boat, don't worry too much about an auto pilot, I did without one for years, and then got a windvane, which was of limited use in the river anyway. I don't have one now and still manage to get by for a days sail.

FullCircle

Visit site
Make sure the crate and bottle opener fit snugly in the cockpit sole. Sarnies to be cut to fit in the cave locker and wrapped in edible paper.

Sheesh, you lot know nowt.

FullCircle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Edible paper ?
Go on, edjumicate me
Bottle storage sorted though

[/ QUOTE ]

No need to unwrap the sarnies in times of need then, is there!

Slow_boat

My own cosy little world where nice things happen
Visit site
I find picking up the mooring and anchoring easier than mooring in a marina. To pick up the mooring, practice ferry gliding; You're less likely to miss and it looks dead impressive, too.

I don't mind reefing at the mast but what is a pain is having some at the mast and some led back. Go for one or the other.

Here's my preparation list, as well as I can remember and in no particular order.;

Stow all gear and assume you won't be going below until the end of the day (you will, but if you convince yourself you won't it concentrates the mind.)

Check engine and seacocks.

Into cockpit go; 1, flask of tea 2, GPS 3, Binoculars 4, mars bars, ciggies, two lighters 4, Pilot plan/book 5, bottle of water 6, Autopilot 7, Hand bearing compass

Switch on necessary electrics

Make sure you have a decent passage plan with clearing bearings etc. or know where you're going and how to get there.

Mark charts with tide times and ranges. Mark up tidal atlas.

When anchoring or going into port, get all prepared early.

Use a breast rope as the first one on if going alongside. Just get the one on and get other lines on at leisure.

Use your safety harness in any amount of seaway. If you fall overboard, the boat will sail away from you, lifejacket or not.

Sail in a state of healthy paranioa. What would I do if... (the mast fell down, the keel fell off, I ran aground, fog comes down, I break my arm etc) so if anything does go wrong, you've already run through the drill several times in your mind.

Remember you can always heave to for a brew or just a rest.

Take a decent malt or Irish for the post anchoring-up-an-idilic-creek 'By christ, I'm still alive' drink.

Take a good book for the evening.

If you're not used to sleeping alone, get a thicker quilt.

n.b. Single handed sailing is the ideal place for those of us who can't sing, to sing!

Seakindly

Visit site
Thanks Slowboat! I'll work on the paranoia. Thought about that whilst reading a book about Marco Polo recently. He reported that that Chineseboats were maintained by nailing another layer of planks on top of the last lot -until after about 6 layers, they were no longer seaworthy. I always wondered what happened to the Chinese navy. Mind you -their shipwrighting sounds like my DIY.

eastcoastbernie

www.ritzystitches.com
Flippin' 'ek Duncan, no wonder I don't do single handing!

I could never, ever, ever, ever be that organised!

By the time I got all that stuff organised I'd have missed the tide and had to start right back from the beginning.

Nobody has yet convinced me that single handing is worth the effort. I'm sure sailing is meant to be a shared experience.

Poignard

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Into cockpit go; 1, flask of tea 2, GPS 3, Binoculars 4, mars bars, ciggies, two lighters 4, Pilot plan/book 5, bottle of water 6, Autopilot 7, Hand bearing compass

[/ QUOTE ]

8, something to have a pee into for when you are in crowded waters or transiting a river or canal

Athene V30

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Nobody has yet convinced me that single handing is worth the effort. I'm sure sailing is meant to be a shared experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bernie you are quite right singlehanding is a shared experience - boat and skipper!

Flipper and I do talk to each other, just she doesn't use words! One woman in my life who never answers back. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif That doesn't mean she does what I want all the time though! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Athene V30

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with flask of tea
Maybe 2 GPS in case one goes on the blink
But 3 Binoculars - just for one person?
As for 4 Mars bars - I'd love to but I have enough trouble with my waistline anyway /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif How do you keep the weight off?