Top Coat/Gel Coat Painting

aBod

Visit site
I've decided that after years of a "Smokey" effect blue hull, which I beleive is the outcome of salt and UV damage to her original 1978 Blue GRP hull, I'm going to paint her for shallow aesthetic reasons/the misses wants me to paint her.

I'm very much looking for advice and help on what I should do. After looking at the major paint providers websites and leaflets I'm still a little inbetween what I need to do. Some say sand then wash, then sand then wash and maybe once more for luck before applying an undercoat then topcoat (for which I've chosen the same colour for ease). Is this correct or do I need to do something else with the gelcoat?

Many thanks for reading and I'm hoping somebody should be able to help!

Many thanks,
Alasdair

Bobobolinsky

Visit site
Depends what paint you are going to apply, give it a good wash, even before sanding, you can use different coloured primers, that way you can see where you have high and low spots. I prefer two pack poly to other coatings on grp. You can use an etch primer to really get a good bond

lustyd

Visit site
I did mine recently (photos somewhere on the forum).

I simply sanded with 240 grit then washed and dried. I then used Hempel single pot paint which left a lovely smooth glossy finish in most places. The only issue I encountered was that it was 7 degrees on the day of painting so I have a couple of hazy patches - I knew this would happen but have been on the water a month and don't have any regrets :)

EDIT: pics at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259995&page=2&highlight=lustyd

Pacofan

Visit site
I did mine recently (photos somewhere on the forum).

I simply sanded with 240 grit then washed and dried. I then used Hempel single pot paint which left a lovely smooth glossy finish in most places. The only issue I encountered was that it was 7 degrees on the day of painting so I have a couple of hazy patches - I knew this would happen but have been on the water a month and don't have any regrets :)

EDIT: pics at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259995&page=2&highlight=lustyd

Nice finish, I'd like to get mine shiny , but don't have a lot of time at present

lustyd

Visit site
Nice finish, I'd like to get mine shiny , but don't have a lot of time at present

only took 4 hours so time isn't your main issue. Just make sure you have power for a sander, 2 friends to help paint, and temperature over 10 degrees C
Cheers
Dave

Pacofan

Visit site
only took 4 hours so time isn't your main issue. Just make sure you have power for a sander, 2 friends to help paint, and temperature over 10 degrees C
Cheers
Dave

When you are working 11 or more hours a day, and at weekends, time is an issue. I've got the day off today, and its raining