Too big! Access denied.

peterandjeanette

Visit site
Boats, that is.

Just supposing - that I won the lottery and decided to upgrade the boat to 45' - 50' at SBS this year. What would that mean when cruising the usual grounds along the south coast of England or north coast of France?

On several occaisions this year I have heard larger boats denied access to marinas because they were "too big". Places such as Granville, Dives, Dielette or even Hythe, Port Hamble etc.

So, question to "larger" boat owners. Where have you been denied access or stuck out on a bouncy mooring because you were too big?

DERF

Visit site
I was denied access in St Vaast three weeks ago, The harbour was very busy... and boat too big!

No problem in Cherbourg but was rafted up most of the time as there is only Q pontoon available (unless you want to wait on the inner waiting pontoon with no leccy and no shore access other than by tender.)

Turned away from Honfleur before too!

Do need to phone and book in advance, but still managed to get in most places in the UK. The problems really come when you go any bigger than 65' in the UK and Northern France.

Hurricane

Visit site
We're 51/52 feet long
Dont think we've ever had a problem.

Got told to anchor off at St Peter Port earlier in the summer but that was mainly cos we only wanted to stay for lunch on a Friday when they were expecting a busy weekend. They would have let us in if we were staying over.

They always seem to squeeze us in.
I think anything over 60 feet long might be a problem though.

D3B

www.cutting-solutions.co.uk
But this little baby got into Zierkizee in Holland.

Reversed it all the way from the entrance.

[image]
IMAG0079.jpg
[/image]

[image]
IMAG0082.jpg
[/image]

And the owner skippered her too.
Doug

rickp

Visit site
Surely space to turn it between the lock and the town quay, I'd have thought? They manage to turn those big sailing barges. All credit to him if he backed it all the way - must be a mile or more from the Oosterschelde.

I've got to get back there - perhaps next year. Wonderful place...

Rick

Medskipper

Visit site
Friends with a Princess 48 (its really 50ft) got refused at Torquay 3 weeks ago! They do phone ahead to book normally.
Whereas we have a 37 foot mobo and have never been refused space.

Barry