Tohatsu 3.5hp - No tell tale

Polarsailor

Visit site
Hello there

I have an about 15 year old Tohatsu 3.5hp 2-stroke outboard. The tell tale has stopped working. I have checked the pipe and nipple where the pipe attaches to the block and they are clear. You can blow through the engine (with the gearbox off) but it does feel a bit restricted. I have dropped the gearbox off and changed the impeller which was intact but quite deformed. Still no tell tale. Before I completely strip the engine and attempt to clean the waterways which I presume are blocked with salt/corrosion has anyone got any suggestions?

I have no idea where the waterways run so a workshop manual, or schematic would be very useful if anyone has one. I presume the water ways are primarily in the block.

Any advice gratefully received!

jamie N

Visit site
Umhh? I'd the same issue with mine, and did take the engine head off and clean the block which was completely congested with all sorts of shite. It only took a few minutes, and was quite easy and satisfying. The whole operation was less than an hour, and worked. Of course yours might be a different problem but it wasn't a big deal to do.
Good luck.

jamie N

Visit site
OP says "I have checked the pipe and nipple where the pipe attaches to the block and they are clear. You can blow through the engine (with the gearbox off)".
I agree though, that was my 1st thought through experience also!

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
I submit this proposal as you advise it's a 15 year old Tohatsu 3.5hp 2-stroke outboard and we cured (without damage) a 14 year old Mercury suffering from the same problem; I probably wouldn't offer it up for a relatively new/valuable engine. Ours had been providing a poor flow for a couple of years and finally given up completely, so:
We stood the engine in a bucket filled with a strong muriatic/hydrochloric acid solution and ran it for 10/12 minutes, by when the tell tale was once more flowing freely, then into another bucket for a ten minute fresh water flush. We'd been warned of the untold damage this would do to the engine's aluminium castings and gaskets, but as we'd bought a new motor anyway and I didn't have the time/inclination to strip it down, I felt we'd nothing much to lose - I suspected that I'd shear just one or more bolts if I tried.
We did that back in 2017 and continued using the engine as a spare and occasionally paired with the replacement Nissan for another three years until we passed it on to someone whose need was greater than ours; the last I heard (Aug 23) that Mercury is still running happily.

QBhoy

Visit site
Check the seal at the water pipe from impeller up to head. The one I had, had the same issues. Also had crap blocking the intakes to the pump too.

Grumpydev

Visit site
Did you get this sorted? I have recently bought one and have the same issue, nothing/hardly anything coming out of the tell tail, but can pump air through it fine.

Changing the impeller on these looks like a bit of a faff (putting the leg back together anyway) so was hoping to start with easy potential fixes first 😂

Grumpydev

Visit site
Fernox or Rydlyme ... they do Alloy safe versions ......

Or any of the domestic boiler cleaner fluids... (alloy safe version).
That's probably what I'd do in the future if it starts to slow, but it's currently picking up barely anything so not sure there will be enough flow for it to really work.

Polarsailor

Visit site
Did you get this sorted? I have recently bought one and have the same issue, nothing/hardly anything coming out of the tell tail, but can pump air through it fine.

Changing the impeller on these looks like a bit of a faff (putting the leg back together anyway) so was hoping to start with easy potential fixes first 😂
Hi There

Yes I did. Took the head off and no obvious blocked waterways. Then took leg off and changed the impeller and that sorted it. The impeller was obviously quite distorted with age. Changing it was OK but very fiddly and make sure you don't lose the small stainless pin that locates the impeller on the shaft. Mine is fine now.

Grumpydev

Visit site
Hi There

Yes I did. Took the head off and no obvious blocked waterways. Then took leg off and changed the impeller and that sorted it. The impeller was obviously quite distorted with age. Changing it was OK but very fiddly and make sure you don't lose the small stainless pin that locates the impeller on the shaft. Mine is fine now.

Thanks - do you have the service manual or did you just wing it? 😂

Looks like there's two varieties of this 2 stroke engine, one with the impellor behind the prop, the other one (which is the one I have I think) needs dropping the whole bottom leg off by the looks of it.

Polarsailor

Visit site

Looks like there's two varieties of this 2 stroke engine, one with the impellor behind the prop, the other one (which is the one I have I think) needs dropping the whole bottom leg off by the looks of it.

Just winged it take some pics. My impeller was internally on top of the gearbox so you have to take the leg off. The diff bit is getting the gear linkage, driveshaft and water pipe reconnected. A stiff bit of wire and patience helps….

Grumpydev

Visit site
Just winged it take some pics. My impeller was internally on top of the gearbox so you have to take the leg off. The diff bit is getting the gear linkage, driveshaft and water pipe reconnected. A stiff bit of wire and patience helps….
I have one of those things at least.. 😂

I've ordered the parts, will change the gear oil while I'm at it - thanks for the info 👍

C08

Visit site
Mine gets blocked from time to time and a length of wire usually does the trick. You need to take off the rubber tell tale tube and the wire will go 2 -3" inside the head to clear it. Brilliant engine only spoiled by having to take the cover apart to take off the cowel.